S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine nearly dies in reverse when clutch engaged

Old 05-09-2006, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine nearly dies in reverse when clutch engaged

i did a search for this and couldnt find anything, but when im backing out of my drive way and when i depress the clutch after moving, the engine shakes for a sec and goes below idol rpm range but only for a second and goes back to idol rpms. it only does this after i start moving and i depress the clutch to either slow down or switch to 1st.

conditions are normal, i always warm her up and it always does this whether its 30F or 80F out.

this doesnt seem like its normal, but someone please help me out here! any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:33 AM

Text deleted by the poster to prevent the spreading of bad info.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do not do the above. while good intentioned, it's the incorrect advice.

first, this is NORMAL behavior, and happens to just about EVERY S2000 there is.

give it a couple days, and it will probably just go away. it most often happens with a change in temp or humidity. the ECU gets confused and has to adjust. do NOT give the car gas to "prevent" it from the bogging idle, otherwise the ECU will not be able to "re-learn".

if, after a couple days, this is still happening. try the map sensor whack. that's the next appropriate step. the map sensor whack procedure can be found in the FAQ at the top of this forum.

if that doesn't work, try cleaning the IAC motor. (the procedure above described by mbilderback is an INADVERTENT way of cleaning the IAC motor. the only way your TB would get gunked up enough to cause this is if you are getting a lot of oil in it, at which point, you'd probably need a catch can or some other fix, and cleaning it won't fix it) Cleaning the IAC motor is easy, and the reason you should NOT do the above procedure is because you can accomplish the same thing without spraying carb cleaner into your engine. it isn't combustible and there is a risk of hydrolock. it takes as little as a mere 100cc's of fluid to hydrolock this engine.

if that doesn't work, then you'd have to replace the map sensor.

and if that doesn't work, then it's a bad IAC motor, though that's extremely rare and doubtful.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:29 AM

nice thanks for the informitive response. yea the weather here in ky is flippin crazy one day it will be 40F and the next it could be 75F so thats probably why it does this occasion. appreciate ur help.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewh_11,May 9 2006, 10:29 AM
nice thanks for the informitive response. yea the weather here in ky is flippin crazy one day it will be 40F and the next it could be 75F so thats probably why it does this occasion. appreciate ur help.
mostly the intake manifold is gunked up.

carb cleaner, some people even use ATF(loaded with cleaning agent) but i can't pull the trigger simplying knowing it's oil.

when you do a map whack, clean and reinstall the rubber seal also, sometime it's out of alignment( part of the seal sitting on the groove which your sensor will not seat correctly) and it will cause weird jump stalling.

if all thing fail, try a honda top engine cleaner, it got rid of my stalling problem completely