S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

engine miss or hesitation

Old 06-17-2003, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine miss or hesitation

well guys i did a search on this and it seems that this has been a problem for a few people, however it usualy occurs right after the spark plugs were replaced under warrenty.... My dad however started to notice this a good two months or more after he had his spark plugs replaced. at around 35 or 40 mph his engine seems to miss or jurk slightly... he tells me it is worse when the engine is cold, but still happens periodically when the engine has been warmed up.... he says it also seems to be getting worse. we've taken it to one dealer already and they said they couldn't find it, and it is at the second dealer right now getting looked at....at first they couldn't find it either but the technician said he would take a closer look at the cyclinders(or something of that nature)...u guys have any idea what this could be? bent valve, bad plug, any body ever experianced this a while after the spark plugs were replaced? thanx alot in advance
Old 06-17-2003, 10:43 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a search on MAP sensor.
Old 06-22-2003, 02:22 PM

Noleaf74,

Yeah I had the same experience, I had not had my spark plugs replaced and the problem would only happen once or twice every few months. It was identical to taking your foot off the gas and then putting it back on. Sometimes it was brief and sometimes it was wild. I had the dealer look at it over 3 times and never did they ever get it to happen again. Then one day I was driving near the dealer and I called them up and said could someone take a look at it now. I took the mechanic for a ride and low and behold it happened again. He said no problem ... bring it in next week. I made my appointment and after having it all day the mechanic at Honda said I would have to leave it over night so they can look troubleshoot it some more.

Well ...

at two AM (0200) the mechanic totaled my car doing 80 in a 25, he was in the hospital for a while so I didn't get a chance to see if he found out the problem. But he fixed it because my new 2003 doesn't do it. Gotta love the way things turn out sometime. I wish you luck.

I would be curious to hear if anyone has have similar experiences. (with the car not the dealer)

m
Old 06-23-2003, 07:35 AM

ahhh holy mother..... i'll be sure to tell my pops that story, man that sux.... yeah so far no one has been able to fix the problem so.... but he hasn't complained to me about it anymore so it must not be that bad
Old 10-01-2003, 02:31 PM

so how did you fix this problem?
Is it the MAP sensor?

My mate car is doing similar thing. It stutters at near 9krpm intermittently. I am doing some research for him as Honda mechanic does not know why? OBD sensor indicated a incorrect TPS. Is this MAP sensor fault? Search engine not working properly at the moment
Old 10-02-2003, 11:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My S2000 does the same thing from time to time, maybe 2 times a month but only when its really hot or if I have been driving the car for over an hour. Anyway since it happens so rarely and only when the car is hot I dont really care too much. I just pop it in neutral and it goes away. The dealers here couldnt tell what the problem was either. Let me know what happens..