S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

engine messed up? not sure...help

Old 01-02-2014, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine messed up? not sure...help

car: ap1 yr 2000 gt35 turbo ams series 2 hks exhaust blackworks exhaust manifold megan coilovers . anyway i pushing it hard in 3rd and it made a weird sound . and i thought i could smell oil right then .the engine seems a little bit rattlier sounding . i drove it home carefully . maybe a little loss of power but idles fine and drives fine except for a slightly bit of engine noise . i thought ii cracked the exhaust manifold but cant find any cracks .i notice some oil around the exhaust manifold bolts ,around the rear of the engine . especially on the plate above the exhaust manifold . oil seems pretty dark but no metal visible . should i pull the plugs and inspect? i drove it the other day and it drives fine but i didnt push it at all and there are some strange noises coming from the engine occasionally .anybody?
Old 01-02-2014, 05:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did any lights come on? Start the car and puLLC the throttle while your under the Hood. You might be able to pinpoint where the noise is coming from a little better. Also it wouldn't hurt to pull the plugs or drain the oil.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the couplings on the piping. You may have over boosted or blew a coupler loose. Check the play in the turbine. If you blew both journals you can get water contamination and you'll ruin the engine. I'll be watching this thread. Good luck bud. Pulling for good news
Old 01-02-2014, 08:35 AM

Stop driving it. You risk further damage. If you have oil coming FROM the exhaust manifold you are getting oil in your cylinders and you need to diagnose from where. Could be worn rings, could be blown seals in the turbo, or it may be something else. Check your intercooler piping for oil.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:15 AM

ok cool thanks for the quick responses . im thinking ill have it towed to a shop . anyone recommend a trustworthy mechanic in hollywood or the san fernando valley ?
Old 01-02-2014, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by 9ineballer
ok cool thanks for the quick responses . im thinking ill have it towed to a shop . anyone recommend a trustworthy mechanic in hollywood or the san fernando valley ?

Ballade Sports in Garden Grove

Alex and his crew will give you the best advice and quality work!
Old 01-02-2014, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by silverstone05
Check the couplings on the piping. You may have over boosted or blew a coupler loose. Check the play in the turbine. If you blew both journals you can get water contamination and you'll ruin the engine. I'll be watching this thread. Good luck bud. Pulling for good news

water contamination ? im kind of a newb but its a oil cooled turbo , not water cooled . yah i havent been driving it except i had to for a semi emergancy the other night about 10 miles roundtrip . im gonna check the other things you spoke of . how much play is too much in the turbine ? cause there is a little bit .
Old 01-02-2014, 12:10 PM

end to end play is one thing but perpendicular is badddd]

also some turbos have a coolant inlet to regulate the heat at the journals.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:31 PM

heres a more complete list of car mods etc .

00 ap1 . gt35 turbo / blackworks twin scroll exhaust / blackworks radiatior / tial wastegates/ tial bov/ hks titanium exhaust / ams series 2 / megan coilovers /blox diff spacers/ blox bump spacers/ blox motor mounts / 11 lb flywheel / storm f5 tornado brake calipers/ pro cast hurricane rotors / brake man steel braided brake lines / corbeau race seats / apexi air pressure monitor / stage 2 clutch/ jdm cluster/ 1,000 cc injection .
Old 01-02-2014, 12:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull the intercooler piping by the turbo and look inside. If it has oil in it then you blew a seal in the turbo. If you are definitely leaking oil into your exhaust manifold you have another problem, maybe valve guides/seals? Good luck.

Quick Reply: engine messed up? not sure...help