S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine Management...

Old 08-02-2001, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Management...

I've heard of it before, seems like it's some pretty cool stuff. A local tuning shop recommended I go with Engine Management instead of VAFC. Anyone have thoughts?

Wesmaster
Old 08-02-2001, 11:26 AM

Engine Management systems can get pretty pricey. Unless you're planning on doing much more modding, I can't see any reason to spend the extra money. Spend $300 on a V-AFC, get it tuned and my guess is that you'll be pretty happy with it. If not, you should be able to sell it for pretty close to what you paid for it and move on.
Old 08-02-2001, 11:27 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are serious about racing the S2000, then yes a proper Engine Managment System would be recommended but totally not necessary (read overkill) for a daily driver. But that's only my opinion. We are talking major bucks for a Motec or Haltech system and a lot of tuning time. Plus just learning how to make the damn thing work is a pain in the butt.
Old 08-02-2001, 11:28 AM

Hey Guys,
What does the Engine Management control? I have not heard of this before (sorry for my ignorance).

Wes - btw, how is your stook doing since your dragracing incident.
Old 08-02-2001, 11:59 AM

I assume that you mean a total engine control (TEC) type unit which would replace the honda ECU. These run around $2500 or so, and require about 3 hours of programming just to get it to run. The other thing that kinda wierded me out was that it wasnt specifically made for a Honda (VTEC) engine ..

I would recommend the VAFC because you will get 70% of the power potential at ALOT less cost and headache..
Old 08-02-2001, 12:25 PM

An engine management system is hardly overkill for the street if you've got a highly modified engine. People really neglect the fact that it all comes down to the correct A/F ratio. If you don't have that, you aren't going to make good power no matter what mods you have on your car.

My suggestion would be a TEC II as it is reasonably priced and just about perfect for a street driven car in terms of features. MOTEC and others are generally overkill.

I am willing to bet that a TEC II on a Comptech supercharged S2000 will pick up an easy 20hp with excellent tuning.
Old 08-02-2001, 12:32 PM

Wes,

It`s pricey and takes time to get used to. Unless you have a dyno in your area, I`d stick w/ the vafc.

Ryan
Old 08-02-2001, 12:35 PM

hehe it`s kinda cool to whipout a laptop at a light when somebody revs on you =)
Old 08-02-2001, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by vtecvoodoo
Wes,

It`s pricey and takes time to get used to. Unless you have a dyno in your area, I`d stick w/ the vafc.

Ryan
How bout 'unless you have a dyno in your garage'?

Electromotive is supposed to be coming out with their new Tec3 this year, and it sounds interesting. I have been looking into the Tec 2 for some time now, but it looks complicated to get set up.

Same with the Haltech stuff, and everything out there.

It would be nice if Hondata would be able to get something to work with there eprom burner and emulator, or if Zdyne were to get involved with anything OBD, I or II.

Anyone have any thoughts on what it might take to run the F20C using a pre OBD computer (88-91) that has been through the Zdyne Gold process? I imagine you would lose some useful functions such as the speedo. Any thing else go away? You could go to one O2 sensor!

OK, I thought about it more, and the interface to the ignition may be a huge hurdle. Anything else?
Old 08-02-2001, 03:07 PM

Can you use something like a Link piggyback ECU? Or the Unichip?

Quick Reply: Engine Management...