S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

engine made slapping noise then died?

Old 09-06-2004, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine made slapping noise then died?

got back from lake started car, it was making some noise i revved engine and it died. checked the dipstick and it is way down past the L mark but still has some oil.
what should i do? will it hurt it if i put more oil in it and start it or should i just tow it to honda?
Old 09-06-2004, 12:40 PM

Top up the oil.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:18 PM

No, dont top up the oil. Leave it the way it is and tow it to honda. You probably spun a bearing. Starting the car again will only put additional severe wear on your crankshaft. It might still be salvagable right now. You're gonna need all the parts u can save believe me.

Hope you've got plenty of money because rebuilding this motor isn't cheap. Pretty expensive lession learned. All you had to do was change the oil on a regular basis. (Yes, I know he should have checked his oil level etc. NO. He was so far low on oil u cant consume so much in the 3500 mile oil change interval).

The 3500 mile oil change interval is really unnecessary for todays oils and oil filters. The only reason why it's probably still in place is because of people like this who neglect their cars and cant check the oil level from time to time. It does take a whole 45 seconds you know...god forbid you end up missing the 45 seconds of Joe Schmo. Screw the motor cant miss the show
Old 09-06-2004, 01:40 PM

the car had its oil changed 2500 miles ago
i put more oil in it and nothing happens it just makes a noise like its got a dead battery.
its still under warranty
but will the aemv2 void the warranty
Old 09-06-2004, 01:42 PM

need help im really worried beacuse i have no money at all to fix any thing wrong with it.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:12 PM

The AEM will void your warrenty if Honda can prove that there is a direct correlation between a engine failure and the AEM. Have you driven your S in a heavy downpour, or was it parked in a heavy downpour?

If the engine doesn't turn over, it could be due to a spun bearing.

Sorry for your misfortune.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:14 PM

I really dont believe your car could drink up at the very least 1.3 quarts of oil + the oil you added on a low mileage S2000 in just 2500 miles unless it had engine problems before this. Plus why would you not be concerned about something like that and mention it to the dealership.

If run the engine and it sounds like a starter ticking, then you spun a bearing. Also thanks for not listening to what I said because you probably have to get a new $900+ crankshaft now as well. Add that to the thousands for all the labor and parts.

You have an intake, you dont have warrenty on your engine. I'm sure they'll hear your story and look at you like i'm looking at this thread "BS." Just goto the dealership, tell them the truth and maybe they'll do it under good-will and repair it for free. It's worth a shot. Your warrenty is about to expire anyways. I'd just go and try it.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:42 PM

i didnt add any oil the oil was changed by the chevy dealer 6 weeks ago (2500 miles ago) so you wouldnt think i would need to check the oil. i have only owned the car for 6 weeks.

now i looked underneath the car and its leaking oil but its coming out near the oilpan/ tranny i dont have a jack with me at my house so i cant really tell. i just its leaking out all of the oil i just put into it
Old 09-06-2004, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by kane.s2k,Sep 6 2004, 02:18 PM
people like this who neglect their cars and cant check the oil level from time to time.
Harsh.

If you have only owned the car for 6 weeks and the oil was changed just before you got it, then I don't believe you should be to blame. There is a possibility that those fools did not even change the oil and gave you the car already low on oil.

Did you buy from a Chevy dealer? If so, those fools should honor the warrenty.

Good luck
Old 09-06-2004, 03:00 PM

so let me get this straight, the car will not even start?? try to jump it and if it continues to knock shut it off and tow it to a dealership. you may want to look at this engine block for sale here.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=232220

sound like a rod may have come through the oil pan or block. may want to remove the intake and put the stock one back in for now so the dealer can look at it. good luck

Quick Reply: engine made slapping noise then died?