S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine Lugging sound

Old 10-08-2004, 05:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Lugging sound

Hello All

My terminology in the subject might not be the best, what I am trying to describe is the horrible sound the car makes if you start to take off without giving the car enough gas. The problem is that my car is starting to make this sound when it idles down as I pull up to a stop light with the clutch depressed or even with the car in no gear and the clutch released. It used to only happen in this manner sometimes if the Air Conditioner was turned on, now it can happen if the Air is off. It seems to happen more if I am doing errands and I am on the Second or greater leg of the trip, ie the car is fully warmed up, but was turned off for a few minutes - then it clears up a bit after 5 more minutes or so of driving.

Thanks for your time and ideas
Patrick
Old 10-08-2004, 05:06 AM

Did you try a MAP whack?

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=209708
Old 10-08-2004, 06:01 AM

Hello

Thanks for your reply, I did try this a few times, It never seems to make any difference on my car.

Thanks
Patrick
Old 10-08-2004, 06:39 AM

Hello

Sorry to keep replying to my own question, I guess I am just surprised that no one sees anything similar in their car ? In a way I maybe shouldn't be, every time I take it to the dealer they tell me either they can't reproduce or that it is just normal for the car and their is nothing to be done. I think it makes the car sound / appear junky or cheap.

Thanks
Patrick
Old 10-08-2004, 07:07 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Try the "MAP whack" combined with an ECU reset (there's a FAQ on this).
What you are experiencing is a very common attribute of the S2000. That's part of the reason why you're not getting many responses. It's been discussed many times in the past. Most of us have gotten used to it. It is the ECU trying to compensate for a fallen rpm when under no load. Under certain conditions of engine temp, intake temp, A/C use, ambient temp, humidity, barometric pressure and sometimes, seasonal changes. The ECU just has a bit of a brain fart and can't quite catch the idle speed quickly enough and you get this "near-death" experience. This is NOT the same as when you lug the engine by loading it up too much with too little throttle on take off.
In most cases, the ECU will "learn" if you don't fight it by giving it gas to compensate. It may take several occurances or driving cycles for it to learn. If it doesn't learn, then you may have a deeper problem. Your Idle Air Control mechanism and/or Throttle Position Sensor may be at fault. In this event, your dealer should be able to diagnose and do the fix. This is only when the car does it ALL the time. If you can't reproduce it for the service guy, they won't fix it.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:19 AM

Thank you, I will give this a try. Let me ask one more thing, I am getting ready to go for a trip to Orlando, this will be all highway driving which is not my normal driving conditions. Should I wait till the trip is over so the car relearns under my normal conditions, or does this not matter ?

Patrick
Old 10-08-2004, 07:24 AM

That's what I said -- I thought you said that you have already tried it a few times?
Old 10-08-2004, 07:42 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickCBrown,Oct 8 2004, 09:19 AM
Thank you, I will give this a try. Let me ask one more thing, I am getting ready to go for a trip to Orlando, this will be all highway driving which is not my normal driving conditions. Should I wait till the trip is over so the car relearns under my normal conditions, or does this not matter ?

Patrick
Highway driving can sometimes introduce another set of parameters and ocassionally, people have reported idle problems after coming from such a drive. Since it's only an idle "hiccup" situation and really does not harm the car, do your trip and see if the idle smartens up after. Do the reset and whack after.

eniety, I think he did the whack but not the reset.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Oct 8 2004, 10:42 AM
eniety, I think he did the whack but not the reset.
Gotcha.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:57 AM

Hello

That is true, did the Whack, no reset. I have been avoiding the reset to this point because it makes me nervous for some reason.

I don't think the Orlando trip will clear up the issue, I have taken several similar trips over the past few weekends and they didn't seem to help the issue at all.

Thanks again
Patrick

Quick Reply: Engine Lugging sound