S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine Locked up, Now Runs Great

Old 09-13-2015, 05:21 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad you got it fixed!

Could you share the suggestion Scott gave you to try to avoid it happening again?

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2015, 05:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably he disabled the clutch interlock switch, allowing you to start the car without depressing the clutch pedal, which is what puts pressure on that thrust washer. Most countries outside of the USA don't require them, but of course with all of our idiots & lawyers, that is another price we have to pay.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Did your car have the OEM clutch? Engine failure in these cars is rare, thrust washer is one of the more rare types of failures when they do happen. Typically a thrust washer failure occurs from a aftermarket pressure plate. There is a few who debate even OEM pressure plate and clutch in action on a cold car causes wear, I am not one of those.

To me this failure is pretty crazy and there is a missing bit of information that maybe only the previous owner is aware of.
My car is stock in almost every way. Clutch is OEM. I have only owned the car for a bit more than a year. I suspect there something that I am unaware of with the previous owner that could have caused this issue. The only thing Scott suspected is that possibly it sat for a long time and then was started. Scott has seen our cars since the beginning, and he did mention that he has never seen this. I assume it'll always be a mystery, but hopefully the problem is behind me. I did bring the car back for Scott to take a look at. He said he looked at some screen to see if there was anything like metal in it a week after the car was repaired. He said things looked real good and said I should't have any problems. I'm hoping he'd right.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:07 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Habitforming
Probably he disabled the clutch interlock switch, allowing you to start the car without depressing the clutch pedal, which is what puts pressure on that thrust washer. Most countries outside of the USA don't require them, but of course with all of our idiots & lawyers, that is another price we have to pay.
Don't you have it the wrong way round? Disabling the clutch switch stops the pressure on the thrust washer.

Or maybe I am missing who the the he is, Scott or the PO
Old 09-13-2015, 12:28 PM

Received 248 Likes on 177 Posts

I have seen this in other engines where the person always has the clutch in when at stop lights, train crossings(long train) etc. I don't use the clutch until I have to. I got a buddy that has replaced his throwout bearing three times because he rests his left foot on the clutch peddel driving down the road. LOL

ROD
Old 09-13-2015, 02:34 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by rrounds
I have seen this in other engines where the person always has the clutch in when at stop lights, train crossings(long train) etc. I don't use the clutch until I have to. I got a buddy that has replaced his throwout bearing three times because he rests his left foot on the clutch peddel driving down the road. LOL

ROD
The OP had his thrust bearings go, which is way way worse than a throw out bearing. I don't think using the clutch beyond a cold start would cause additional wear. A aggressive pressure plate might during normal use.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by jetboater
Glad you got it fixed!

Could you share the suggestion Scott gave you to try to avoid it happening again?

Thanks!
I'm pretty sure they are the wire jacks that go to the front and rear fuel injectors. Scott said if you disconnect the two that are fairly easily accessible, the car won't start. He said run the starter so the engine turns several times to get oil on the internal components. Hook them back up and start the car. He did say that you would have to later disconnect the battery to reset the code that you'd get from the computer, then hook it back up again.

Not sure I'll do it, but I guess it sounds reasonable to me. Again, he didn't say it was necessary, but to be safe, it might not be a bad idea.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Originally Posted by rrounds' timestamp='1442176137' post='23745683

ROD
The OP had his thrust bearings go, which is way way worse than a throw out bearing. I don't think using the clutch beyond a cold start would cause additional wear. A aggressive pressure plate might during normal use.
I agree. From what I understand the only time there is a concern with the thrust bearing is at the initial starting of the engine.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:45 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

The builder didn't say anything about avoiding riding the clutch?
Old 09-13-2015, 05:18 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by buckinvt
Originally Posted by jetboater' timestamp='1442150500' post='23745379
Glad you got it fixed!

Thanks!
I'm pretty sure they are the wire jacks that go to the front and rear fuel injectors. Scott said if you disconnect the two that are fairly easily accessible, the car won't start. He said run the starter so the engine turns several times to get oil on the internal components. Hook them back up and start the car. He did say that you would have to later disconnect the battery to reset the code that you'd get from the computer, then hook it back up again.

Not sure I'll do it, but I guess it sounds reasonable to me. Again, he didn't say it was necessary, but to be safe, it might not be a bad idea.
Just pull the 15A fuse to the fuel pump, it will acomplish the same thing only no cel and much easier.

Quick Reply: Engine Locked up, Now Runs Great