S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine Locked up, Now Runs Great

Old 07-29-2015, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Locked up, Now Runs Great

Hello everyone, I've got a real head-scratcher here..well, at least for me. Here's what happened to me yesterday.
My wife and I got in to my 2007 S2000 to go for a short summer evening ride. The car started up just like normal, and
I drove to the end of my street, which is about 500 yards away. When I stopped at the top of the street, my car died.
That was strange, I thought...Maybe I forgot to push the clutch in when I came to a stop.

Well, I tried to start the car, and nothing! The starter seemed to engage, but would not turn. The dash lights went dark
while the starter was trying to start the engine. I figured maybe the battery had died. I pushed it a little way down the
hill, and tried to pop the clutch to start it in first gear. When I let out the clutch, the wheels locked up and tires skidded.

Well, then I got my other car out, drove down and tried to jump start the car...same thing...nothing. It might have turned over
once or twice, but that was it!

Decided to get a brand new battery, and put it in.....Getting very nervous about major engine damage at this point. Put the new
battery in, and same exact thing. The starter clicked, but the engine would not turn! WOW, I must have seized up the engine somehow!
Checked the oil...looked full and clean.

Now, I called a towtruck and had my baby towed to my mechanic....very pessimistic at this point. Didn't sleep well at all.
After work, I swung by the mechanics place to hear what I thought would be horrible news. He told me that he went out, and attached a wrench
to the flywheel, and the motor turned easily. He decided to go and see if it would start....He said it started right up! He took it for a ride,
and said it ran great! I was so relieved! I told him to keep it overnight and change the oil in the morning, just to see if it looked OK.

Well, What the heck happened! The engine that was seized up just yesterday, ran great today. I have no idea what could cause this. My mechanic said
he checked the computer for codes and nothing.

Any Ideas? I'm starting to thing keeping my fingers crossed all the way to my mechanic's place did the trick. I have no other explanation.

Greg
Old 07-29-2015, 07:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I've heard of thrust bearing failures that presented like this initially. Did the mechanic check for axial play on the crank, or inspect the drained oil for bits of metal? It probably warrants pulling the oil pan to have a direct inspection of it.

Where are you located?

edit - Nermind, it looks like you're in Vermont. Billman250 is probably a bit far for you to take the car (he's on Long Island), but he's the closest expert s2000 mechanic to you. If you want the car diagnosed/fixed right, I'd go to him rather than your local mechanic.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:21 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

yup I'd suspect thrust washers , and also recommend you getting the car over to Billman if you can swing it.

Does the car have an aftermarket clutch / pp in it ?
Old 07-30-2015, 02:14 AM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

I've heard of the same thing happen on other 07's it didn't end well. I would bypass the clutch switch for now, as it seems to be a thrust bearing issue that causes that symptom. And holding down the clutch during start-up puts a lot of axial stress on the crankshaft. Hopefully, it's just a funny starter, also agree about seeing Billman.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:36 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,255 Likes on 1,096 Posts

I appreciate the requirement to depress the clutch to start.

Lack of a clutch lockout bit me, but only slightly, last week in France with a rental. I'm used to the S2000 and just turned the key fully and the car tried to lurch forward. Hand brake was set but it was still startling! It seems ALL cars in France are manuals. Very nice diesel Peugeot 308 diesel. Shift throws were butter smooth albeit very long.

-- Chuck
Old 07-30-2015, 07:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To be clear - I absolutely would not try starting the engine again, much less driving it! Tow it to a very quality mechanic, or look into getting it to Billman. You can be looking at a difference of a couple hundred bucks to repair versus a new engine which will be several thousand, if you keep trying it out to see what happens.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:27 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

Contact Granite State Dyno in New Hampshire and ask for Scott to take care of your car. He is as good as Billman but WAY closer to you. He is old school S2000 back in like 2001ish he started with the group. Since has moved on but still takes care of his S2K crew. Always has our cars in his hands getting worked on.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:52 PM

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Originally Posted by Habitforming
To be clear - I absolutely would not try starting the engine again, much less driving it! Tow it to a very quality mechanic, or look into getting it to Billman. You can be looking at a difference of a couple hundred bucks to repair versus a new engine which will be several thousand, if you keep trying it out to see what happens.
+1. You have a ticking time bomb. You have all the classic symptoms of thrust washer failure. If you keep driving it, your will kill your engine. Get the right guy to fix it, and its no big deal.

DO NOT START IT!!! Get it fixed. Tow it to shop.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:01 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Pinky
Scott
Scott twisted?
Old 07-30-2015, 01:04 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

I have seen this first hand, and freed it up first hand.

The engine will eventually suffer a major failure, including camwheel seizing and camshaft journal destruction.

Tow it, guaranteed.

Quick Reply: Engine Locked up, Now Runs Great