S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine Light During Spirited Driving

Old 08-11-2007, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Light During Spirited Driving

I had been driving pretty hard off and on for about five minutes when, while in vtec around 6k rpm and while hitting the gas pretty hard, I received a check engine light and a severe reduction in rpm.

I believe I was in 4th gear, but I'm not certain. I don't recall having downshifted, but I'd been shifting a lot during this period. However, I ended up in 5th in the shift right after the light, so I'm pretty sure I was in 4th.

So assuming the severe rpm reduction occurred in 4th, I clutched in and immediately shifted to 5th and was still at the same very low rpm. I worked my way down the gears as I applied very little gas while finding a safe place to pull over. Even low speed driving was sluggish, as if the engine was being controlled by the ecu. At a standstill and after applying some gas, the revs were sluggish and felt limited. No strange noises from the engine, tranny, or rear end.

I turned the engine off and let the car sit for ten minutes. Checked the oil, no issues. I turned it back on and was then able to rev and move the car around normally; I kept the revs below 4k. Still no strange sounds, but the light was still on. So I limped the 3 miles home, staying around 3k rpm and without giving much gas. Car ran fine. It's been an hour and I just restarted it; runs fine, no noises, revs fine, but light still on.

I did have a recent tune, with an afr between 12 and 12.5 for most of the vtec range, but it did briefly peak at 12.9 around 6,200. From there it quickly dropped to 12.5 and made its way down to 12 at 8000 rom. I'm SC running 6.2 lbs boost on ap2. My tuner said I should be ok with this afr.

I'll be taking it in for a complete inspection, but I'm curious if anyone knows what happened. Did a lean condition result in protection form the ecu (if it even does that). Some thing else?

Thanks.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:31 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

What's the code....
Old 08-11-2007, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250,Aug 11 2007, 01:31 PM
What's the code....
what billman said...
it's near impossible to know whats wrong without pulling the code.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:51 AM

Don't know yet. I don't have a scanner, so my plan was to bring it to a mechanic this week.

Coud this call for a towing or could limping it there be ok? I won't hesitate to get it towed if this sounds serious.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:10 PM

go to Autozone and borrow their scanner ... some autoparts stores lend out tools
Old 08-11-2007, 01:07 PM

Yep, already did. In fact I bought one. For all the work I do on cars, I can't believe I waited this long.

Here's the code: P0339 Crankshaft Position Sensor A CKT Intermittent

I'm checking the plugs now. The first two look fine (color and gaps), although one was not tight enough. I installed them new 4 weeks ago, just before the tune. They were tight when I checked them the day after install.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:32 PM

Ok, all the pugs were black on half of the circular edge/ring that surrounds the center section. I don't recll ever seeing that on the two sets of plugs I've replaced on this car. It was not the tip, which is the same brownish color it's always been, or the white body supporting the tip.

Sorry for not posting a pic. My digital camera sucks ass and can't focus that close. I'll play aorund with it and see if it's just user related.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:44 PM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...416105&hl=p0339
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...392773&hl=p0339

Ok, these threads seem to shed some light.

It looks like the loose plug could've caused the code. And I had the same temporary, low rpm restriciton as one of the posters.

Given that the car runs fine, should I wait and see if the sensor fails again or should I go ahead and bring it to the dealer?

Thanks again.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:46 PM

your car went into limp mode . first thing i would check is your oil level
Old 08-11-2007, 09:50 PM

[QUOTE=visser,Aug 11 2007, 11:17 AM]I had been driving pretty hard off and on for about five minutes when, while in vtec around 6k rpm and while hitting the gas pretty hard, I received a check engine light and a severe reduction in rpm.

Quick Reply: Engine Light During Spirited Driving