S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine Knocking/Rattling

Old 09-26-2014, 11:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Engine Knocking/Rattling

Searched and found quite a few threads with videos, but all of them have been deleted.

Recently changed my oil using Castrol Edge Synthetic 10W-30. Right after startup it began to "rattle" I guess. Doesn't sound like a spun bearing or anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eClujheWaKQ

I'm unsure what oil the previous owner used.. Maybe it's used to a thicker oil, or a different brand? Anyone ever run into this?

EDIT: I have already rebuilt the TCT, and changed both front belt pulley bearings.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:43 PM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

Does the sound go away once the car has warmed? Sounds like piston slap to me, it could also be a loose exhaust manifold, or heat shield.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Does the sound go away once the car has warmed? Sounds like piston slap to me, it could also be a loose exhaust manifold, or heat shield.
The sound persists even after the engine is warm. It goes away when revved.. or maybe I just can't hear it over the normal engine noise. Only occurs during idle, 900-1100 RPM.

I'll look around for anything loose.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Replaced static pulley and tensioner pulley bearings, timing chain tensioner, and had a valve adjustment done recently. The sound started after I changed the oil, Castrol Edge Synthetic 10w-30."

Did you notice the sound after you had a valve adjustment? Sometimes, when the valves it is because they are out of spec (to tight I think). When the mechanic makes the adjustments to the correct specifications the car will noticeably louder. The fresh oil could have just made the noise more noticeable. I have not used that brand of oil but have not heard any faults with that brand and our s2000s. After checking around of anything is loose; you can run the car without the serpentine belt for 45secs, no longer than a minute, to see if the sound is still apparent.

Lastly, your car sounds very similar to mine. Not that mine is broken, I just think it falls into the category of being normal. This is just my opinion.

Best of Luck!
Old 09-26-2014, 06:14 PM

That sounds like valves to me. However, I had a few bad valve seats, as in 12 of 16 and valvetrain did not chatter like that. It was barely audible and you had to know what you were looking forward to hear it. Good luck
Old 09-29-2014, 07:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dam! My car does the exact same thing just not as loud. It happened to my right after an oil change as well. Please let us know or pm me when u figure it out. I haven't figured it out as well. I changed my oil to penzoil then it started so I changed to castrol edge and still the same. So I don't think its the oil.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:26 AM

maybe oil filter not the same .cutting down on oil pressure,
weird that this is happening right after oil change
have you tried a thiker oil to see if it makes a deference
Old 09-30-2014, 09:36 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

" Recently changed my oil using Castrol Edge Synthetic 10W-30. Right after startup it began to "rattle" I guess. "

I take it, the car didn't have this issue with the previous oil used? Can you contact the previous owner, to find out what he used?

Just a thought.

Good luck with that!
Old 10-09-2014, 04:06 PM

The car did not have the issue before I changed the oil.

I contacted the previous owner and changed the oil back to what it's used to, (Mobil 1 Synthetic). I also replaced the bearings in the serpentine belt pulleys, rebuilt the TCT, again, and checked for anything loose. The sound is still there. I'm going to assume it's a rod knock of some sort, like every Honda I have ever owned has done to me, (Yes, I'm a bit salty over this).

Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:30 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I deffinately hear a little something there, but IDK if it sounds like rod knock. Have you tried running it without the belt?

Quick Reply: Engine Knocking/Rattling