S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine knocking at idle only when warm

Old 02-02-2012, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine knocking at idle only when warm

I just picked up a s2000 and it seems to have a knock like rod knock, but the car runs but has the tapping sound. What could cause this besides the tct or valves out of adjustment as i have checked both of those and rebuilt the tct. I also checked for cracked retainers. I have plenty of oil and the only cel I have is for o2 sensor and knock sensor(connector is broke). The car seems to run fine other than the noise. After i adjusted the valves the noise seemed to go away but once the car warmed up it came right back. Replaced bearings with oem and spced everything to make sure i was within oem spec then torqued everyhing down. What could this be since it only does it at idle when car is warm and it seems to be 3rd or 4th cylinder area? Thanks for the help in advance.
[media]http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab215/edogg6565/d4d10604.mp4[/media]
Old 02-02-2012, 02:38 PM

Don't mean to scare, but what you are describing is typical of a rod bearing being damaged. Hopefully it doesn't get any louder, if it does, kill the engine right away to save neighboring parts.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:53 PM

That's what I was thinking, but I'll pull the pan next week to see. It's just funny how it doest really do it when it's cold only when it warms up.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:31 PM

Any more ideas
Old 02-29-2012, 12:13 PM

I kind of have the same noise, repaired the TCT and did a valve adjustment this morning, and I'm still hearing a low tapping noise, and only around 2k-3k rpm. Also don't hear it when it's cold, just once its warmed up. Not sure how good my adjustment was so i'll probably do it again, but when driving and idle after 3k you don't hear the tapping as much.

Not sure if that happens with you as well.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:45 PM

Mine is only at idle. Anything past 1000rpm it goes away. The car is stock minus an intake.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:58 PM

If you have any way of posting a video or sound clip of the noise it would be very helpful. What sounds like a "knock" to one person may sound like a "tap" to another.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:07 PM

Will try to take a video tomorrow. All I have is a voice memo of it on my phone
Old 02-29-2012, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by edogg6565
I just picked up a s2000 and it seems to have a knock like rod knock, but the car runs but has the tapping sound.What could cause this besides the tct or valves out of adjustment as i have checked both of those and rebuilt the tct. I also checked for cracked retainers. I have plenty of oil and the only cel I have is for o2 sensor and knock sensor(connector is broke). The car seems to run fine other than the noise. After i adjusted the valves the noise seemed to go away but once the car warmed up it came right back. Replaced bearings with oem and spced everything to make sure i was within oem spec then torqued everyhing down. What could this be since it only does it at idle when car is warm? Thanks for the help in advance.

Edogg,

Out of curiosity what do you mean when you refer to "rebuilt the TCT"?

I only ask because what you are describing is textbook TCT failure imo.

--Matt
Old 02-29-2012, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by mattstryfe
Originally Posted by edogg6565' timestamp='1328224135' post='21378773
I just picked up a s2000 and it seems to have a knock like rod knock, but the car runs but has the tapping sound.What could cause this besides the tct or valves out of adjustment as i have checked both of those and rebuilt the tct. I also checked for cracked retainers. I have plenty of oil and the only cel I have is for o2 sensor and knock sensor(connector is broke). The car seems to run fine other than the noise. After i adjusted the valves the noise seemed to go away but once the car warmed up it came right back. Replaced bearings with oem and spced everything to make sure i was within oem spec then torqued everyhing down. What could this be since it only does it at idle when car is warm? Thanks for the help in advance.

Edogg,

Out of curiosity what do you mean when you refer to "rebuilt the TCT"?

I only ask because what you are describing is textbook TCT failure imo.

--Matt
It was sandblasted then then lightly sanded with a grinder and 80 grit paper to rough it up and then I swapped with a buddies with no difference. It doesn't sound like tct or card in bicycle tire. Nor does it sound like it's coming from the lower front of he motor where tct is located

Quick Reply: Engine knocking at idle only when warm