S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine knocking / clapping noise

Old 01-27-2015, 05:05 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Sound like rod knock. Sorry.

You can test this by pulling coil-packs off spark plugs one-at-a time, with engine off. Restart. Usually, bad cylinder's pack pulled = reduction of noise, due to no detonation on that piston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8bDr_hOn9Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8bDr_hOn9Q
Old 01-27-2015, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
it is worth a shot! When you apply throttle it sounds a bit TCTish, but that background knocking just makes me think it is more. I do hope I am wrong though!!
Yeah it sort of does, it doesn't sound deep enough when I'm driving to be anything major knocking around. Either way I'll replace the TCT just to be sure, I just ordered it from Billman a little bit ago.

Originally Posted by windhund116
Sound like rod knock. Sorry.

You can test this by pulling coil-packs off spark plugs one-at-a time, with engine off. Restart. Usually, bad cylinder's pack pulled = reduction of noise, due to no detonation on that piston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8bDr_hOn9Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8bDr_hOn9Q
Yeah in my starting post I had said I tried that already, only to find that disabling cylinder 4 made the noise amplify, none of the others seemed to make a difference. I should make a vid and see what you guys think of it because it sure confused me haha.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by This Field Required
Been pretty busy at work sorry guys! I think I'm going to go ahead and order the Billaman TCT today and put it on and I'll post another update as soon as I'm done. I doubt it's something as simple as that but hey who knows.

Also small update
It's pretty intermittent at idle now, but still constant under load, will probably stop driving it soon just to be safe haha.
I think I read you were in the southern california area.
When you get to rebuilding it maybe give Adams Metalizing in Lancaster, CA a call.

I had to replace all of my main bearings and they saved me from having to buy a new crankshaft. Ive worked with them for a long time with other engine builds. They do very very good work.

-Andrew
Old 01-29-2015, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Andersonracing
Originally Posted by This Field Required' timestamp='1422406146' post='23483883
Been pretty busy at work sorry guys! I think I'm going to go ahead and order the Billaman TCT today and put it on and I'll post another update as soon as I'm done. I doubt it's something as simple as that but hey who knows.

Also small update
It's pretty intermittent at idle now, but still constant under load, will probably stop driving it soon just to be safe haha.
When you get to rebuilding it maybe give Adams Metalizing in Lancaster, CA a call.

I had to replace all of my main bearings and they saved me from having to buy a new crankshaft. Ive worked with them for a long time with other engine builds. They do very very good work.

-Andrew
Awesome thank you! If the TCT doesn't work then I'll hit them up to check out my bearings then, thats what I'm going after next anyways.

Also TCT is on its way, should be here in a few days! Will post update when it arrives
Old 01-29-2015, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by This Field Required
Originally Posted by Andersonracing' timestamp='1422467612' post='23484818
[quote name='This Field Required' timestamp='1422406146' post='23483883']

Also small update

-Andrew
Awesome thank you! If the TCT doesn't work then I'll hit them up to check out my bearings then, thats what I'm going after next anyways.

Also TCT is on its way, should be here in a few days! Will post update when it arrives
[/quote]

I hate to burst your bubble but that is definitely not TCT noise. You have something major going on there.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Andersonracing
Originally Posted by This Field Required' timestamp='1422559923' post='23486386
[quote name='Andersonracing' timestamp='1422467612' post='23484818']
[quote name='This Field Required' timestamp='1422406146' post='23483883']
Been pretty busy at work sorry guys! I think I'm going to go ahead and order the Billman TCT today and put it on and I'll post another update as soon as I'm done. I doubt it's something as simple as that but hey who knows.

Also small update

-Andrew

[/quote]

I hate to burst your bubble but that is definitely not TCT noise. You have something major going on there.
[/quote]
I just saw your vid. It definitely is NOT your TCT. As others have mentioned it appears to be rod knock. I would ask around within your regional section on here for a reputable shop to take a look. I would also stop driving it at this point.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:17 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

As much as I'd love for it to be TCT noise, that is 100% a low end knock.

At some point in the cars life, it most likely lost oil pressure due to low oil.

It only takes a second or less of lost pressure to spin or score a rod bearing. In some cases, the pan can be dropped and the crank hand polished/new rod bearing fitted.

Depends on crank journal condition. Once the bearing disappears enough to allow direct rod-to-crank contact, there will be no chance for an in-car quick fix. So run it as little as possible, and keep the load and RPM low.

I have had customers drive to me from 2 hours away, gently, and have been able to fix it in two hours.

Find someone competent to pull the pan and inspect/polish the crank. Jordan is your guy but he is far, I'd go with a local reference that someone here can vouch for.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:39 PM

Well I was on the way to pick up a part and take it to the garage and drop the oil pan and check it out, and boom it went out. I guess the solution is simple now I just have to replace it. I'd still like to figure out what exactly did it though haha. Man what a day!
Old 02-02-2015, 02:42 PM

Both oil and coolant all leaked out right after it blew as well, I'm gonna get it up on a lift and see where exactly it blew out
Old 02-02-2015, 03:14 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow! That didn't take long. Sounds like you threw a rod right through the block of oil and coolant came out. Time for a new long block!

Quick Reply: Engine knocking / clapping noise