S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine knocking / clapping noise

Old 01-24-2015, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine knocking / clapping noise

I have an '03 with 70,100 miles, mostly stock with exhaust/test pipe and aem v2 intake, the noise is definitely coming from within the engine.

I recently did a valve adjustment and an oil/filter change on it, that didn't seem to help the noise.

It is in sync with the engine speed, and is there when it is first started up, it's there while it idles, after it warms up, and throughout the whole rpm band.

Tried taking the serpentine belt off and running it for about 30 seconds and the noise persisted. Spun the pulleys and none of them made any noise.

I unbolted all of the bolts on the coil packs and pulled them out one by one to see if the noise stopped if I disabled spark to one cylinder, my only finding was that when I pull #4 cylinder coil pack out the noise intensifies and sounds like its coming from #3 cylinder.

The car still runs fine, idle is a bit stumbly, but other than that it has no troubles starting up or running. Just a really audible knocking that does not go away. Also no CELs of any kind.

I'm pretty stumped at this point, just wondering where I should turn to next. Wrist pin? Journal bearings? Just start taking everything apart? It's a pretty maddening noise for those of you who know it.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:45 PM

Before you start tearing apart the engine, I would check to see if there's a loose spark plug. Did you accidentally over-rev/mis-shifted? Have you replaced/upgraded your TCT?
Old 01-24-2015, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.60trim
Before you start tearing apart the engine, I would check to see if there's a loose spark plug. Did you accidentally over-rev/mis-shifted? Have you replaced/upgraded your TCT?
Thanks for the quick response!
I haven't done anything with the TCT at all.
I replaced the spark plugs during the valve adjustment and torqued to spec.
I can't think of a time when I over revved, but I definitely wouldn't rule it out.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:10 PM

What region are you in and what viscosity oil did you use? This may impact the valvetrain noises you are hearing.

However, 70k on an original TCT, I'm almost convinced to say that it is a faulty TCT. I would consider purchasing a Billman modified TCT.

Here's his repair thread. Contact him in regards to purchasing his TCT:
Billman repair thread
Old 01-24-2015, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.60trim
What region are you in and what viscosity oil did you use? This may impact the valvetrain noises you are hearing.

However, 70k on an original TCT, I'm almost convinced to say that it is a faulty TCT. I would consider purchasing a Billman modified TCT.

Billman repair thread
Southern California and I use Mobil 1 10W 30.
And thanks I definitely will, any small fix I can try is better than pulling the engine.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:22 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Can you post a sound clip of the noise?

May help.

Thanks!

Old 01-24-2015, 06:22 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by This Field Required
Originally Posted by Mr.60trim' timestamp='1422155426' post='23480495

Billman repair thread
And thanks I definitely will, any small fix I can try is better than pulling the engine.
I've never had a bad TCT, and the videos you see on youtube make it hard to hear accurately. Most people describe the noise as being similar to cards in bicycle wheel spokes (as many young boys used to do to their bikes in the old days) . If that is what you are hearing it is likely the TCT.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by windhund116
Can you post a sound clip of the noise?

May help.

Thanks!

I'll take a vid tomorrow morning and upload it to youtube for ya no problem! Or maybe tonight because I'm thinking about driving it, but driving it scares me too haha.

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Originally Posted by This Field Required' timestamp='1422155819' post='23480500
[quote name='Mr.60trim' timestamp='1422155426' post='23480495']

Billman repair thread
I've never had a bad TCT, and the videos you see on youtube make it hard to hear accurately. Most people describe the noise as being similar to cards in bicycle wheel spokes (as many young boys used to do to their bikes in the old days) . If that is what you are hearing it is likely the TCT.
[/quote]
It doesn't quite sound like that kind of noise, at idle it makes about 7 loud clacks and stops for a few seconds and repeats. When it is given throttle it is nonstop and prominently loud as soon as you let off the throttle with a few extra loud clacks.

Any way I can trouble shoot this? Hearing the sound tomorrow morning will probably give you a much better idea as to what the noise may be.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:19 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Your description scares me, loud clacks are bad. Post a video. Any history on the engine?
Old 01-24-2015, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Your description scares me, loud clacks are bad. Post a video. Any history on the engine?
I just took it for a 10 min drive and took a video after, I just need to upload it somewhere, it sounds pretty nasty I've only had it for about 13,000 miles and its only recently started.

Quick Reply: Engine knocking / clapping noise