S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine knocking

Old 12-01-2009, 03:51 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SpitfireS,Dec 1 2009, 08:31 AM
Do you also have a CEL?
IF bearings are damaged you will most likely see a misfire CEL too.

The oil pick-up is almost in the middle of the pan, so going uphill or downhill should not make a difference.

NICE!! road btw...
Really a misfire CEL? From what? I could see the knock sensor picking something up and throwing a CEL, but why misfire? I am not trying to argue, just curious

Even with the pickup in the center of the pan a severe downhill coupled with the extream Gs from the cornering is far worse than if you just had the hard cornering alone. Just my opinion.

to taking it in under warranty.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think downhill would make a difference. The oil pick up is near the front, plus the forces caused by accel and braking would be more then the slope would affect it.
And yeh i dont see how it would missfire from rod knock either?
I think that its incredibly likely that ur oil was just low. Enough to not pick up through some hard corners leading to oil starvation on a big end.
You wont hear the knock for certain when your idling, you gotta give it a few revs.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You wont hear the knock for certain when your idling, you gotta give it a few revs.
Correct. No sound when idling. there is some sound when the engine starts for the first time but after that it is normal, no sounds or vibrations till you rev it up a bit.

You may have topped it up but how much?
I topped it up to the "H" mark on the dipstick just before the drive.

Im guessing you drove it back with the knocking
Nope. I stopped the engine immediately after I heard the noise and had it towed on a flatbed.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:40 PM

Well good that you stopped the engine. But still i wouldnt keep my hopes up for little damage. Strange that this would happen when the sump is full but. Maybe during a long bend.
If you want to find out for sure if its a spun bearing then do the diagnostic that I said, with pulling each coil plug one by one and listening for the knock with some revs (not too high).
But if your under warranty just make sure its got oil and tow it to dealer. Dont touch anything, else your going to be up for a hefty sum of money.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:17 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Why a CEL?
Well because IMO you will not just damage a rod bearing with oil starvation.
Main crankshaft bearings will be damaged too, most likely first.
If (true.. if) they are bad enough they will cause fluctuations in crankshaft speed, the ECU picks that up with the crankshaft position sensor, determines the cylinder(s) that cause the fluctuations and will tell you by showing a CEL.

Gaus > Do you get the low oil pressure warning at idle?
I take it you don't have a CEL?
Besides, going downhill at redline you might, MIGHT, have had a (slight) mechanical overrev.
The ECU can't prevent those.

edit 1: typo
edit 2 ; added thought.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:46 AM

haha that bearing is foooked. I agree that a spun main will throw a CEL but it may not have spun one. I spun my big end on the freeway, and it still just damaged my one big end (badly). My mains were all fine. So its still possible that it wont throw a CEL if the main hasnt gone.
Still, my bearing was shaven down quite a bit, but yours looks like it exploded! lol
Old 12-02-2009, 01:57 AM

Do you get the low oil pressure warning at idle?
I take it you don't have a CEL?
The car is now at the dealer. They also think it is a bearing but haven't opened up the engine yet. Anyway I dont remember seeing low oil pressure light or a CEL.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should see if you can check the oil level after the trip! Maybe after 12k of driving in vtec your car burned some oil? You did say it was almost 10 years old?
Old 12-11-2009, 09:46 PM

Took the engine apart. Well' I'll let the pictures do the talking.

It is from cylinder number 4 connecting rod. Both number 1 and number 4 are bearings are damaged.

This is how the clutch looks like after all the launches

Engine needs a new crankshaft and connecting rods. New parts and the labour is only $150 cheaper than a new block. So decided to go with a new block.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:34 AM

Hey Gaus,

You said you bought the car brand new as a '07, but it looks like your engine has a Black coil pack cover. Did you put that on your self or did it come like that? I'm just worried that you weren't actually sold a "new" car.

Quick Reply: Engine knocking