S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine knocking

Old 11-30-2009, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea ppl who beat it for a long time at the track shifts right when they get to redline. but they dont stay on the redline for 2-3mins. maby about 2 secs at most compared to 90 - 120 secs on the redline.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:31 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

He did not say at redline, he said near. I can tell you that most people at a track will be at or in VTEC most of the time. Plus the added shock from downshifts. Not saying that a track S2k won't have issues with the rod bearings, but it would typically be from oil starvation. I have not really looked into hard tracking the S2k, because I just bought mine for a weekend fun/occasional HPDE event car, but I would bet a baffled oil pan would be a wise investment.

Given that the OP was heading on steep declines/inclines with lots of curves (some of them likely long curves) my guess is that oil was all over the place in the pan. That with the higher reving is what would equal a toasted rod bearing. Given the direction the engine sits I would guess that the steep decline was the key factor.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replys guys.

Perhaps your buddy over-revved it, if you aren't used to driving an S2000 there is a good possibility of that happening.
He also owns a S. Before that he had a series of civics and integras. He is familiar with vtec engines. Dont think he over revved it.

Given that the OP was heading on steep declines/inclines with lots of curves (some of them likely long curves) my guess is that oil was all over the place in the pan. That with the higher reving is what would equal a toasted rod bearing. Given the direction the engine sits I would guess that the steep decline was the key factor.
This was the mountain road

All 12km was like that. I guess it is oil starvation. What kind of oil pan would prevent this from happenning again?

I hope the engine can be restored to the original condition.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:31 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Do you also have a CEL?
IF bearings are damaged you will most likely see a misfire CEL too.

The oil pick-up is almost in the middle of the pan, so going uphill or downhill should not make a difference.

NICE!! road btw...
Old 12-01-2009, 07:09 AM

How do you drive your car normally on the road? If you actually like to 'drive it' like myself then chances are your oil would of been low if it had been around 4500km+ since ur last service. You may have topped it up but how much? If you drive it a bit hard your going to use like a quart every 1000km which means that after even 3000km its gonna be low.
If your friend over revved it I think it would of damaged top end b4 the bottom. If you spun a bearing then its likely oil starvation.
Check it by turning on the car and one by one pull out each coil pack plug giving it a little rev in between each try. When the sound stops thats what cylinder has gone, as your taking the load off the spun bearing.
Im guessing you drove it back with the knocking so Im gonna suggest to you a SPOON 2.2l stroker kit. You will get new crank, rods and pistons. Couple it with a lightweight flywheel and its quite impressive. Im very happy with mine
Old 12-01-2009, 09:33 AM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Do you get the clunking noise when your car is idling? If so, take off the serpentine belt and start the car. See if it still clunks. If not, then replace your water pump.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:52 AM

Rod knock should be heard at pretty much all RPM and get louder as you rev higher. Is that the case for your car? Did your experienced mechanic use a stethoscope or a long screwdriver to isolate the sound?
Old 12-01-2009, 11:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Baffled oil pan, and a slight overfill on oil seems to be on order for you.

Always check your oil before going for a spirited drive...

Good luck! Hopefully it's something minor.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:38 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

i dunno if its rod knock man, I just cant see it owning previous hondas and beating them. this is rare, I hope honda comes through if there is in fact a problem.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:51 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

If you're under warranty I would just drive it to the dealer and say you hear a funny noise. Test drive it with the tech and let them figure it out. Report back what they find.

Video might be helpful.

Quick Reply: Engine knocking