S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine knock? This sounds horrible...

Old 11-18-2020, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jub
Nobody here will bet against this guy. After the context you provided about the valve adjustment, this is > 90% right. If it were my car, I'd either stop running the engine and fix it myself or have it towed somewhere to properly deal with it. Not worth risking catastrophic engine failure over a serious but stupid issue that is easily remediated.

I suggest reading up here about opinions on the Ballade TCT. Some have a true vitriol for Ballade and will hate anything they make. The legit take-away is that a manually adjustable tensioner is subject to user error. I do not think that the cost-benefit of that pays off for me, personally, or for 99% of people. That doesn't make it a bad product but understand it for what it is.
I agree. I was in a pinch and thought this one would get rid of the initial noise. I’m going to look over the valves when I get a chance and check clearances. Clearly something isn’t right with either that or the TCT. I’d definitely would’ve preferred to get a Billman TCT over everything else.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
Additionally, if you didn’t have TCT noise, and you installed a ballade tct without the guide depth to accommodate it (signified by chain noise) chances are high that the chain is 10x tighter than it needs to be. The camwheel bushing will suffer the consequences, and the rest of the engine will follow.

Was the tct able to sit flush against the engine, all by itself, with no bolts?
Before I changed anything it made this noise. It got louder and louder and eventually got to the point it is now. I thought it was the TCT so I swapped it with the Ballade sports because I didn’t know if you were still back ordered on yours otherwise I’d prefer that instead.

But to answer your question when I removed the OEM one it appeared to just pop out on its own. I don’t think that’s normal I’m not too familiar with these engines yet. When I installed the new one it sat in there fine, didn’t stick out. I then proceeded to tighten the bolts and unscrew that little piece that causes the tension on the chain. I hadn’t started the car since the noise got really bad so I don’t know if it would’ve sounded the same or not with the new TCT. I’m going to check valve clearances myself and see if everything is ok.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
The Ballade tct is not at all a universal solution. Its all too easy to get it wrong.

Most auto mechanics rarely, if ever, do valve adjustments. Its time consuming and tedious, but not especially difficult. But it is easy to get wrong. You have to pay attention to detail. If your biz model relies on getting stuff done fast, and its an attention to detail task you rarely or never do, its a recipe for mistakes.

You know who does these exact type of valve adjustments all the time? Motorcycle mechanics. The valve adjustment on our cars is identical to Honda bikes from the mod 80's on. Except on bikes the interval is more like 16k miles (or even much shorter back in the day), so it gets done a lot by shops.

Find an independent bike shop. They'd probably get a kick outta an S in their shop. They might balk at first, but when they find out whats under the valve cover, they'll immediately feel at home. Could only boost their cachet for people to see a car like this getting worked on in their shop.

Thanks. I’m just going to check it myself. Watched some videos and read about it and think I’m capable of doing it. Tired of trying to rely on shops that do a bad job or don’t pay attention. Funny thing is it was a shop that had said they work on s2ks often so I thought I was in good hands.
Old 11-20-2020, 03:58 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Bennyap1
Tired of trying to rely on shops that do a bad job or don’t pay attention.
We all relate to this. It is a great car to work on yourself. Still, there may be things now and then that you might want a pro to do. Maybe post an inquiry to see if anyone here knows of a good s2k mechanic in your area so when the time comes you will have a lead.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:20 PM

Hey guys a little update: I was able to check valve clearances on cylinder 1 and 3 so far and they seem pretty tight actually not loose so I don’t think it’s a valve being too loose sadly. I’m going to check the rest tomorrow and see but as of right now I don’t think it’s a valve job issue.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:38 PM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

If its a valve job issue you would hear a clacking noise. If you did a leak down test that would also tell you whether its a valve issue aswell
Old 11-22-2020, 07:24 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,232 Likes on 1,076 Posts

You won't know for sure (although I think you're right about it not being the noise problem) until all the valve clearances are properly set. Tight valves are just waiting to be burned valves. Set them to the loose end of the tolerance since they tighten in use. The recommendation here is to set the exhaust 0.001" looser than spec.

-- Chuck