S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine keeps bogging and loses power

Old 01-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by milhouse1210,Jan 2 2008, 08:00 PM
i have 100K miles on it and i dont have any modifications.

also i never rev the motor before it hits 3 bars and it happens at 3-5 rpm not while in vtec.

i dunno if this has anything to do with it but a month or two ago i replaced the air filter and i forgot to put the air box cover on it so the filter is exposed. never could find the cover again.

but i'll try the injection cleaner and stuff and let you guys know
At 100k, maybe it's time for new plugs.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

new plugs, new fuel filter, new air filter (this does wonders), valve adjustment, new clutch and flywheel. it could definitely be the clutch slipping on the way to die.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after reading some another post i'm thinking it might be bad gas. i put some octane booster in it and it seems to run better. i'm thinking of syphoning the gas out and refilling it to see if cures the problem.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you now make the 4th confirmed case of sudden detrimental performance, almost assuredly caused by contaminated gasoline. Where did you get the gas from that was in the car when it started to run bad? I got mine from Citgo...
Old 01-07-2008, 01:09 PM

I have THE EXACT problem and have been trying to figure it out for months. I did the injector cleaner, took my throttle body apart...cleaned the hell out of that, and did a tune up. I don't think the plugs or the filter was replaced.

Also, i've been told on multiple occasions that it's probably my clutch. What makes me hesitant to believe this is that ever since it got cold out it's been running perfect. The couple days here and there that its gotten warm it's started to act up again. The last three to four days it's been above 70 degrees and it's acted up all four days. So i'm pretty convinced that whatever is going on is heat related. Heat soak? Catalytic converter?
Old 01-07-2008, 03:40 PM

also i never rev the motor before it hits 3 bars and it happens at 3-5 rpm not while in vtec.

i dunno if this has anything to do with it but a month or two ago i replaced the air filter and i forgot to put the air box cover on it so the filter is exposed. never could find the cover again.

Thats funny you say that. I forgot to mention that nearly every time I take the air box off (it sounds better alright... ) The car would start acting up...even if it was cold out.

What exactly is heat soak? Also, if it was the clutch...would it be likely that it would go from being terrible one week to fine the other? Seems like if the clutch was going bad it wouldn't fix itself...but I guess the temperature has something to do with it. Going on seven months now and still no luck.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Shanky,Jan 7 2008, 08:40 PM
What exactly is heat soak?
hot air is less dense than cold air, thus less oxygen is getting into the engine with each intake stroke, so there's less air to mix with the fuel, resulting in less power.

Heat soak is when the air in the intake stream gets heated to the point that the performance loss is noticeable, but usually only at launches until the heated air has been consumed and replaced by fresher ambient air.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:18 PM

I dont think the air box lid being off is the "culprit" for the problem. A buddy of mine has had his removed for months and we were actually talking about it the other day. He said its had no ill effects on how the car runs. I dont see the purpose in removing it but to each his own. I understand you lost your cover, it wasnt an intentional decision on your part as it was my friends
Old 01-09-2008, 10:16 AM

ok so the bogging stopped now when i refilled the tank. now it just seems like i've lost some power throughout the whole powerband. it feels like my clutch is a lot softer now doesnt seem to grab as hard as it used to. thinking my clutch is on the verge of going out. any input?
Old 01-09-2008, 12:05 PM

how many miles on your clutch? I'm at 110k and I can finally feel it start to slip alittle if I launch above 4k

Quick Reply: Engine keeps bogging and loses power