S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine idle problem drop when coming to stop

Old 05-25-2014, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine idle problem drop when coming to stop

My idle has been off lately it was stalling when coming to stops but I fixed that problem by doing what billman said by taking off the iacv motor and getting it to spin freely which fixed the stalling problem. Now the revs drop like it's going to stall but it doesn't and eventually pick back up and still have an uneven idle after that. I can't figure the problem out have done map whack and ecu reset also have new plugs. Not sure if it is the tps or need a new map or if something worse just seeing if anyone else has a similar problem or has fixed this before
Old 05-25-2014, 02:42 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

What year is your s2k?

Have you checked the voltage range for the tps, map and iacv?

I have been watching a lot of these threads to see if anyone has been able to successfully solve this problem.

How does your engine respond once in motion like at hwy speeds?

It seems that in most cases it's just the idle that is affected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2014, 03:11 PM

It's 2002
haven't checked the voltage on tps map or iacv yet.
I've been looking all over s2ki for answers to this haven't found a fix for it yet all I found was taking the motor off the iacv cause it starts to stick which completely solved the stalling issue.
I never see a problem at highway speed it's only at idle. If AC and lights are on the problem isn't that bad
Old 05-25-2014, 03:33 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Hmmm interesting because the ac and lights would increase the electrical load and make the engine work harder so you would think it would exacerbate the problem.

Have you ever replaced your alternator? How bout your serpentine belt?

Old 05-26-2014, 05:03 PM

Serpentine belt is old and streched alternator is fine. I think it may help because with the increased load it causes the engine to idle higher making it more stable leading me to believe it is something else
Old 05-26-2014, 05:07 PM

I'm going to do my serpentine belt soon seeing as the indicator shows it's pretty streched
Old 05-26-2014, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gptoyz
Hmmm interesting because the ac and lights would increase the electrical load and make the engine work harder so you would think it would exacerbate the problem.

Have you ever replaced your alternator? How bout your serpentine belt?

The ecu increases the engine idle speed when electrical loads such as lights and AC are present.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Map whack is a band-aid, not a solution. https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/108...t__p__23171355
Old 05-27-2014, 12:29 PM

I have cleaned the channel leading to the map with carb cleaner and blew it out with compressed air no change, I also reset the ecu. I did this the same time I fixed the iacv which stopped the stalling I'm not sure if one of the sensors is bad or iacv is bad or something completely different. This is frustrating
Old 05-27-2014, 04:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Vtbbs2k
I have cleaned the channel leading to the map with carb cleaner and blew it out with compressed air no change, I also reset the ecu. I did this the same time I fixed the iacv which stopped the stalling I'm not sure if one of the sensors is bad or iacv is bad or something completely different. This is frustrating
When you reset the ECU the car loses it's long and short term fuel trim settings. The car remembers it's "trips" and stores the data to adjust the air fuel ratio. Until you have enough trips to store a base long term trim, your car will revert to the short term maps. If air temp and/or barometric pressure changes the car will do what you describe. Stop resetting your ECU and let the car fix itself.

Utah

PS- For more information go pick up a copy of "Getting to know OBD II" on Amazon.

Quick Reply: Engine idle problem drop when coming to stop