S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

engine gunk. how to remove?

Old 10-07-2013, 06:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default engine gunk. how to remove?

So with my new s2 I've been working on fixing all of the little things I took for granted on my old ap2. Currently after swapping all fluids, I've seen the interior of the engine and the head is gross. My old car was religiously maintained and never had any engine gunk, the head was perfectly clean, no worn spots on the lobes or anything. The new car.... let's just say black is the best way to describe it. Is seafoam safe to use on the f22c1? Or is there another alternative other than taking it all apart.

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:44 PM

Received 248 Likes on 177 Posts

I would use a oversized oil filter to so it doesn't go into bypass if whatever you put in the engine cleans it up to fast and clog up the oil filter.

I use the Baldwin B7042 or B202 oil filter on my '06
Here are some pic's of the Baldwin, Napa and Honda filters
http://s949.photobucket.com/user/rro...?sort=2&page=1

I would use a high detergent oil with short runs(3000 miles).
You should also go to BITOG to see how others have cleaned up gummed up engines.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...s.php?ubb=cfrm

ROD
Old 10-07-2013, 08:18 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 10-08-2013, 03:07 AM

S2000maniac - it seems so simple. Is that all I really need? How would I go about using it? I've literally only done pm on my cars and they've always been perfectly clean inside and out. I'm guessing advance auto parts would carry this product?
Old 10-08-2013, 03:26 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

go with RROUNDS suggestion. just cycle it through and do short OCI. i have been using Pennzoil ultra, but you can use the pennzoil ultimate. it seems to do a good job of keeping my engine clean. my car is mainly used for autocross and during my 3000 mile intervals it seems to stay very clean. ( the oil i mean ) there might be better oils but i cannot speak first hand on them.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:04 AM

I've always run mobil 1 full synthetic but ill definitely look into both suggestions, keep the input coming, obviously the car has been running junk oil or not been kept to where it should be. Any thoughts on seafoam? Just over 60k miles so its still a baby.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by iamxpL
go with RROUNDS suggestion. just cycle it through and do short OCI. i have been using Pennzoil ultra, but you can use the pennzoil ultimate. it seems to do a good job of keeping my engine clean. my car is mainly used for autocross and during my 3000 mile intervals it seems to stay very clean. ( the oil i mean ) there might be better oils but i cannot speak first hand on them. if you can take some pictures?

Ill try and get some pictures tonight
Old 10-08-2013, 06:14 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Here is another suggestion. "Find a Mercury boat store. They have a product called "Power Tune". It has amazing foaming properties that dissolve most sludge on contact. Spray 2/3 can directly into your crankcase (through oil filler hole). Use the rest to clean the PCV valve and hoses. Also clean the throttle body. Here you can follow up with a chaser of spray Gum-out. Drive the car for 2 days. The combination of chemical and heat will work it's way through the entire engine and dissolve the offending deposits. Change the oil with Some synthetic oil. After 3 months, change it again with same. The engine inside should be good as showroom, again. Also use gas with high detergent, to continue to keep the engine clean.."
Old 10-08-2013, 09:40 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

i personally would not run seafoam in this particular engine. im not exactly sure if there are any side effects for our engines. i have run seafoam on my older vehicle. if you like mobil 1 stick with it and just change the oil more frequently for the first few times.and if you are really concerned take the head off and get it hot tanked and rebuilt lol. but thats just a little extreme.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:38 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Watch for oil consumption with Mobil 1. It runs really thin and some people have problems with it in these engines.

Quick Reply: engine gunk. how to remove?