S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine is Grumbling.. when easing off gas,.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Engine is Grumbling.. when easing off gas,.

while driving,, itl start to grumble when i ease off the gas to maintain a set speed... upon decel same thing... and then just today after 240miles of the grumbling the CEL came on.

closest honda is far, and new one opens monday close.. so i was guessing to wait.

this is like the 7th CEL ive gotten in 2 months and everytime they say oh its nothing (must be bad gas) and reset and i leave. previously no grumbling... just CEL)

what do you think it could be? my friend said sounds like a clutch but a CEL shouldnt come on for clutch.

let me know what u think

riley
Old 03-14-2007, 09:34 AM

Have the code pulled Riley. There's no telling what it could be.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey
could you be more specific about the grumbling? Is it like a bubbling, missfiring or so? i mean mine grumbles all the time when i let of the gas, but imo its just do to the aftermarket exhaust.

Also, where do you get your CEL checked and just "turned off"???
You always want to know the code it spit out! So you should head to the next autozone, oreilley or advance auto parts store and let them read out the cel for ya and then you start troubleshooting from there.

Could be that your cat is goin out. (that be the best case scenario imo)
Old 03-14-2007, 09:39 AM

get that code pulled. In any case, the dealer shouldn't have been clearing the codes without looking into it first. Did they ever tell you what the previous codes were? Do you have any documentation from the dealer about this?
Old 03-14-2007, 10:21 AM

they say "mis firing" must be bad gas, ill reset and then go fill up and see if it comes back

always the same thing.. they tell me and then they clear out and say watch if it comes back.

if its the Cat then thats fine, i know i scrape my cat when driving so maybe it bent/broke something and thats fine i just didnt want it to be a serious engine problem.

im going to go to the new closer honda on monday.. i have drivetrain till 100k and no mods to engine so everything should be fine. they do all of my maitenance as well.. hopefully its nothing major

btw its not a sputter, but sounds like a grumble or a bubble engine maintains power but just makes a grumble noise. imagine like a diff chatter coming from engine.

damn honda's
Old 03-14-2007, 10:22 AM

btw i have no documents.. i figured maybe the lil checker keeps track since they have to scan the VIN everytime they do it..

if so it should have a record in a database somewhere i guess..
Old 03-14-2007, 10:25 AM

well since you said it's happend more then once, is it always missfiring? Do you always get gas at the same station?
IMO "bad" gas wouldnt cause missfiring. That sounds a little more serious.
And you didnt say where you get the code pulled at. the dealer?
Old 03-14-2007, 10:28 AM

different stations..

like 4 of the times is was misfiring on 1 or more cylinders and the other few idk.. he just said.. idk must be bad gas... and reset...

always code @ the dealer and its always the service manager pulling the codes..

im guessing their might be something seriously wrong w/ the car then if it continually misfiring?

i always change oil every 3k and keep up w/ mait 110%. no mods to car besides aesthetics, no intake.. no exhaust, no anything to do w/ drivetrain'

thank you for helping..
Old 03-14-2007, 10:58 AM

well i wouldnt consider it helping by any means, but from being a bit of a gearhead, having a few problems here and there and reading tons of post everyday, i cant recall missfiring being a problem caused by "Bad" gas.
maybe once in a while, but repeatedly over and over seems odd. I'm sure when some of the mechanic gurus chime in, we'll get some more insight. Until then,

whats your mileage?
what plugs and when where they changed the last time
what gas/station do u visit
Old 03-14-2007, 12:04 PM

the cat might be clogged, its possibe that it will make it misfire, make sure the spark plugs are tight or just replace them with oem ones.

Quick Reply: Engine is Grumbling.. when easing off gas,.