S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine gremlins - where do I start?

Old 11-25-2014, 01:26 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Engine gremlins - where do I start?

I was out last night driving around and playing with my suspension settings on my newly installed KW V3s, and my engine shuts off around 35 mph about to merge onto the interstate. There was no drama or noticeable noises or anything (I wasn't using the radio and I was coasting with my stock exhaust). I had been driving the car around for about half an hour at that point and was not hard on the car at all. I had it towed home and have been trying to figure out what's wrong. The engine will crank healthily and all visible electrical systems still have plenty of power. I borrowed a friends OBDII scanner and there are no codes. All plugs appear to be plugs in snug and everything in the engine bay seems to be in its place.

Here's what I *think* I have ruled out:

1) battery - the car was on the side of the road for nearly 2 hours last night with the hazards on. I did a compression test today on all 4 cylinders and it cranked well. Plus, the battery is only about a year old.

2) compression is good - all 4 cylinders are right around 240 psi.

3) coil packs - if one coil pack went out then the car should still run, just missing on a cylinder.

4) spark plugs (same reason as #3).

The only thing that I can think of this being is some sort of sensor going bad - perhaps the crankshaft positioning sensor?

Here are the mods to the car. I will try to be as detailed as possible since it could be any of these things that failed:

SoS high boost kit w/ 4.6" pulley & upgraded heat exchanger
SoS clutch kit
SoS plug and play 4 bar map sensor
ID1000 injectors w/ plug and play harnesses
Inline Pro fuel pump (Walboro 255 clone)
Hondata FlashPro tuned at PTuning
Berks 63mm high flow cat
Modifry harness
KW V3's

Where would you guys start? I would like to start with the most likely/least expensive fixes first.

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2014, 02:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You sure you are getting fuel? Typically the first thing to check with a crank no start would be to check that fuel is getting to the engine.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jpmelfi
You sure you are getting fuel? Typically the first thing to check with a crank no start would be to check that fuel is getting to the engine.
It certainly smells like it, and the pump primes. I'll get a gauge and check this tonight. I have had a walboro pump fail on me before, so it's possible. Thanks for the idea.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:12 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Check your fuses, sounds like you blew a fuse to something
Old 11-26-2014, 03:47 PM

Tonight I checked all of the fuses; none were bad. Then I thought I would start with what has given me trouble in the past in my old turbo civic: the fuel pump. I removed the pump and it looks like part of the rubber attachment that attaches the pump to that white plastic input on the holder fell off...just a slither of it from the end, and it must have been restricting flow. Once I put it all back together and cranked, it started! I revved it some and idled it for 15 minutes.

It's always the dumbest stuff that causes headaches. i.e. waiting for 2 hours on the side of the road to get towed, then getting heartburn when he shows up and it isn't a flatbed as requested

At least it was a free fix! Thanks for the input!
Old 11-26-2014, 03:51 PM

On another note, I looked around and couldn't find any info on how to test fuel pressure on the AP2. Do you need to weld a bung on the fuel rail??