S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine flutter?

Old 12-10-2007, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Engine flutter?

First off, I'm new to the forum, so hi everybody, and thanks in advance for any advice you can give. I'm having an annoying problem I hope somebody can help me with. I have an '03 S with 27K on the clock. It has no modifications and no issues of any kind, other than the following. Cold idle is normal and smooth. Once the car warms up, things aren't so great. The car revs perfectly, but when I disengage the clutch (while coming to a stop or whatever) the engine doesn't drop to idle, it drops below idle, and lugs around for a few seconds. Once the engine staggers its way back to 900 rpm, it idles smooth and normal. Right now I have the car in storage for the winter, only driving it every couple of weeks or so. Now that it isn't being driven often, it will sometimes die completely instead of just lugging. Not when its cold, though. Only when its warm. Has anybody had this problem before? Thanks
Dan
Old 12-10-2007, 01:46 PM

I don't have much experience with this car much either, but from what I read my only guess is that maybe it's because you disengaging the clutch too slowly as you brake to a complete stop. It's only a guess. I hope it helps.

Jason
Old 12-10-2007, 01:51 PM

Hmmm... Sometimes I disengage it slowly, sometimes quickly, it doesn't seem to make a difference. Thanks anyway, though.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:39 PM

Map sensor? Only because ive been reading a lot about MAP sensors lately. Maybe?

Keep it above 6K all the time, and your good..... LOL

Chad

Old 12-10-2007, 05:47 PM

is not bc of your clutch disengagement, there is a faulty sensor somewhere...i cant remember exactly which one is to blame but im sure someone will chime in with the right info!
Old 12-10-2007, 06:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1. You can try a "Map Whack" and Zip Tie

1b. Check to see if you are/were eligible for a new MAP sensor and Tie. They are only like 50 bucks.

2. And follow up with an ECU Reset. (before you start the car....after the Map Whack)

Still Not fixed

3. Clean the IAC Valve.

These are merely simple things to do before you take it in that are "free" processes that can cure little annoying ailments such as what you are describing.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can always try Fuel additives, and Fuel Injector Cleaning additives. And just to throw in the obvious 93 Octane Only.....
Old 12-11-2007, 11:29 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

there's a TSB on this...map whack or replace the map sensor with the updated version.

my dealer did this for free when i brought in the TSB.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:44 PM

I had the SAME symptoms recently ('02 with 30k) and eventually the CEL came on. I noticed you did not mention the CEL, so I will assume it is not on yet. Mine would run fine while cold, but once warmed up the problem was there.

In my case it was the TPS, which is not cheap and has to be purchased with the throttle body. I think that Honda does this to assure proper voltage setup (especially on such a high rpm motor) but not sure. Have you cleaned your engine recently? Check for moisture in the TPS plug.

There are some guys here that have used TB with the TPS still on that will sell them pretty affordably.

Keep us posted on what you find out.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:07 AM

Thanks, everybody. I haven't had time to fiddle with the car for a few days, but as soon as I have a chance, I'll do what you suggested and let you know how it turns out. Thanks again
Dan

Quick Reply: Engine flutter?