S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine Fire

Old 10-22-2001, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont post very often but I check the forums everyday because I usually find a lot of good tips on how to take care of my s2000. Thats is why i am hoping for some good advise on the situation...

I have a MY2001 s2000. about 5700 miles on the OD. An oil change at about 3800-4000 miles. And havent opened the hood since.

I was driving from Chicago to University of Illinois-Champaign Urbana on saturday morning. About a 140 mile drive. It was about 7:30 in the morning and at about 85 MPH I noticed smoke in the rear veiw. I pulled over maybe thinking my car was over heating, or something to that effect. I dont know if the gauge of engine temp means anything but it showed the normal 3 bars. I dont have any aftermarket guages so I couldnt check the oil temp or pressure. When I stopped, the smoke came out of the engine bay. So I opened the hood, There was a fire breathing out of the passenger side of the engine. I had no idea what to do. The fire was large enough to burn the insulation on the underside of the hood even after the hood was open. I called 911 and they showed up with a squad car, anmbulance, and a fire truck. The fire was contained and the car was towed to a near by county. There was a lot of oil on the ground after all was said and done. Im thinking oil leak/spray. I read another thread about this happening not to long ago to a guy on the track.

My questions:
1) What happend? I know no one was there but can anyone come to any conclusions from the info given.
2) Who should I contact about this. Honda (my first choice), My lawyer, or the insurance company (my last choice.
3) who do I conntact to get my car back to chicago.

Thanks in advance guys. And sorry it was so long. This was somthing similar to seeing a loved one in the hospital...a $3?,000 loved one.
Old 10-22-2001, 07:40 AM

It's clearly a warranty issue for now. Since this is the second time this has been mentioned though, I hope you will keep us posted with detialed information as it becomes available. BTW, when you say the left side do you mean facing from the driver's seat or facing from the front. Generally speaking, side directions are given from the driver's seat.

Passenger side (right) makes me think oil. Driver's side (left) is a different matter. I'm asking this question since the fire seemed small. Can you please clarify and provide any additional detail you know.

I, for one, am very concerned since I initially blew this off and since Alberto had his oil filter problems.
Old 10-22-2001, 07:55 AM

sorry for the mis-information...I meant right side, passenger side of the engine bay. I fixed it.
Old 10-22-2001, 07:56 AM

Sounds like another improperly installed oil filter. Perhaps a doubled up gasket or not tight enough.
Old 10-22-2001, 08:00 AM

How could I prove an improperly installed oil filter? Will the gasket(s) still be in the oil pan...
Old 10-22-2001, 09:08 AM

damn that seriously sucks man...doesn't seem to be your fault but if no one else owns up to it...you should contact a lawyer to see what you can do.
Old 10-22-2001, 09:33 AM
pfb

Originally posted by Smile-2-9
How could I prove an improperly installed oil filter? Will the gasket(s) still be in the oil pan...
Oil filters screw into the side of the engine. There should be 1 gasket between the filter and the engine block. Sometimes, when a filter is removed, the old gasket sticks to the engine block. An inattentive $8/hr mechanic might not notice or check, and install the new filter, with a new gasket, over the old gasket. The proof should still be between the filter and the block, assuming it wasn't destroyed by the fire.

Also note that oil-caps, especially on the high-revving S2000, have been none to vibrate loose and fall off if not tightened well.

What is the spontaneous combustion temperature of motor oil? I've seen it smoke before, but never just plain ignite...
Old 10-22-2001, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by pfb
What is the spontaneous combustion temperature of motor oil? I've seen it smoke before, but never just plain ignite...
This is why I blew it off last time but Smile is clearly reporting seeing a flame -- not just smoke. Someone mentioned before that oil mist might be more likely to ignite on the header.

Hey Alberto: Maybe you were lucky!
Old 10-22-2001, 12:54 PM

Oil WILL burn if it comes in contact with a significant heat source...like the exhaust manifold which is just a few inches away on the S2000.
Old 10-22-2001, 01:49 PM
pfb

Originally posted by Allan Haggai
Oil WILL burn if it comes in contact with a significant heat source...like the exhaust manifold which is just a few inches away on the S2000.
I'm sure oil will burn. But again, I've seen oil dripped on headers LOTS of times. Always smokes, never flashes. Now if some spark where to come in contact with super-heated oil, different story.

Again, anybody have any idea what the flash point of motor oil is? I think much higher than header temps.

Could the oil of come in contact with the cats?

Quick Reply: Engine Fire