S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine failure? Please help.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine failure? Please help.

I just picked up a 2001 S2000 about a week ago. I was out driving it tonight and getting on it pretty good. I had it WOT on the highway until about 120mph when it felt like fuel was being cut or I lost compression. There was no power, and the car stopped pulling. At this point I back off the throttle and limp it into a gas station. Then I hear this loud knocking comimg from the engine. The more I rev the engine the more frequent the knock. Did one of my pistons fail? If so, what kind of cost am I looking at? I live in the Nashville area. Are there any good shops around here that anyone could recommend me to? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's very unfortunate. If I were to guess, a possible broken valve retainer led to this problem. Here's a link to study:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=437271
Old 12-06-2006, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WynnS123,Dec 6 2006, 02:24 AM
Did one of my pistons fail?
Maybe one of the valves sunk into the combustion chamber, then subsequently was hit by the piston, resulting in a bent rod

It's hard to say for sure, but this may cost over $2,000
Old 12-06-2006, 02:53 AM
Banned

you are ####ED my friend.

EXACT same thing happened to me.

That knocking noise is known as a 'PISTON SLAP'.

basically you have scored most likely the 4th cylinder bore, now there is a gap and the piston is knocking against the cylinder.

Questions -

1. Is your car under warranty??
2. What is your oil situation like?

I bought my car and the spark plug in the 4th cylinder the prong bit came off and was hanging around the bore and scratched the shit out of the cylinder. Only cylinder 4 was damaged. Honda replaced under statutory warranty because I had only owned the car 3 weeks. With the normal warranty your screwed because it only covers up to $1000 unless you have a new car warranty.

Other thing that could of caused that is oil starvation, not enough oil in the cylinder, your punching the car and its just metal on metal with the piston/cylinder wall.

options to fix

1. New shortblock. Down here in australia your looking $6000 for a new shortblock, not counting labour to put it in
2. Re-sleeve of that bore - if the scoring is NOT more than 1mm (which it probably will be) then it can be bored out and a stainless steel sleeve inserted.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:56 AM
Banned

i'd pull out the spark plugs firstly to see if you have a spark plug failure. cylinder 4 is next to the firewall, check that first. Before you take it to the dealer check this. If they see that there was a spark plug failure they might notice the prong missing and throw that one away and get another used plug and say that one came out of your engine.

Service history of the car - when was the last service on the book? iwth my car there was a gap in the service history. I was sold the car as having a full service history and i did glance over the books however between 40,000 and 60,000 there was no service. Ontop of this the oil level was really LOW which may have contributed to the problem. I bought the car expecting that it had just been serviced because the sticker said '73,000' kms as the next service, and the car was on 63,000. I dont care because i got a new engine out of those pricks at honda.

Exact same thing happened to me. Flooring it on the freeway, lack of power for a second, i thought what the hell......kept going.... came to a stop and noticed this knocking noise thud thud thud thud.

you just bought the car - from a dealer? if you have your lucky if you have a statutory warranty, anything that goes wrong with the car within 3 months the dealer has to fix (in australia at least)

Dont drive the car anymore in the meanwhile!
Old 12-06-2006, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by JAPCAB,Dec 6 2006, 03:53 AM
basically you have scored most likely the 4th cylinder bore
I was thinking this as well.

oil starvation, not enough oil in the cylinder
WynnS123 has a MY01 which means he doesn't have the updated oil jets. Maybe the car was ran low on oil a few times, and the motor was a ticking time bomb Maybe the engine was 2-3 quarts low when it expired?

This is assuming that the #4 cylinder is in fact, indeed scored.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:53 AM
Ek9
Banned

Sounds like you ran it out of oil. I'm leaning more toward a spun bearing and rod knock from the symptoms (though the outcome is the same, new shortblock time).

Had you checked the oil in the two weeks you owned it. S2000's , particularly older ones, you have to check the oil every time you fill them with gas.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:22 AM

Questions -

1. Is your car under warranty??
2. What is your oil situation like?
Man this really sux. The car does not have a warranty. I bought it from a private owner. I checked my oil a few days before this happened. The oil level was right inbetween the high and low mark.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Ek9,Dec 6 2006, 05:53 AM
Sounds like you ran it out of oil. I'm leaning more toward a spun bearing and rod knock from the symptoms (though the outcome is the same, new shortblock time).

Had you checked the oil in the two weeks you owned it. S2000's , particularly older ones, you have to check the oil every time you fill them with gas.
with him. I'd check your oil level and report back. Sounds like oil starvation.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:48 AM
Ek9
Banned

Yeah, sorry this happened to you.

Quick Reply: Engine failure? Please help.