S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine dies after high rpm run

Old 03-29-2013, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine dies after high rpm run

So I have tried to look up this problem but I have not found anything.

My car has been running fine when driven at low rpm. (Its my DD for university so I have to drive boring alot) The problem is, when I run it through the whole rmp range it will run fine with no hesitation or shutter etc but; when I push the clutch in it dies. The rpms fall just like normal but it doesn't stop at idle it just drops to zero. After it dies it will not start. After about 20 minutes it will start but might die, and after a start or two it runs just fine as long as I keep it in low rpm. I have a good battery, fuel is good, ran injector cleaner the tank before it and try to keep those clean always, theres no leaking fluids, the engine never over heated or redlined, no bad sounds or anything. Its just like it got tired and went to sleep.

This is not something I have encountered before. I took it to check the battery and the guy at Autozone (fountain of all knowledge I know) Said he heard a small sucking sound when I shut off the engine. His thought was that I had a small crack in a vacuum hose and was causing my fuel to not return to the tank when I depressed the clutch and with a hard run this killed the engine. This would end up causing the same issues as a flooded carb, dead engine and wont start till it drys out a little. Again this is nothing I have ever heard of for fuel injection before so as of right now its as good a theory as any.

I could really use some help here guys.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:25 PM

Anybody? I really need some help
Old 03-30-2013, 08:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You might have some build up in your throttle body, spray the carburetor cleaner on a clean cloth, reach in far as you can repeat until clean.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:32 AM

Also pull the Idle Air Control Valve and make sure that it isn't caked up with dirt/junk.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:36 AM

Its been a while since I've pulled the Tb and cleaned everything out real good so thats a good idea regardless to if it ends up being the problem. I'll do that as soon as I can.

Originally Posted by XxMerlinxX
Also pull the Idle Air Control Valve and make sure that it isn't caked up with dirt/junk.
Where is that valve? The intake on these things looks like a pile of snakes and I dont know what most of them do.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:22 AM

Here's a link to a DIY. Click Here
Old 04-04-2013, 11:15 PM

I've not been able to find the leak yet. My problem is, I think it is a return vacuum line that would be the cause. If thats right then how would you check for a leak there? I shouldn't affect the intake and therefore the old propane/starter fluid trick wouldn't work.

Also, I found out that my alternator is starting to go. Is there any way at all that this might have something to do with the car dying and locking up for a bit? I don't know how it would but who knows