S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine Damper

Old 09-15-2004, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Damper

I'd like to find out from those who have them... what is the main benefit from using this? I know what it supposed to do, but I'd like to hear any impressions from the owners and a little about the installation if you don't mind. Is this something you can notice or is it one of those "makes you feel good having one" type of item?
Old 09-16-2004, 07:32 AM

reduces engine vibrations by providing another mount point to the body
Old 09-16-2004, 07:41 AM
lig
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

^^^ ^^^
Old 09-16-2004, 10:34 AM
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

The damper does its intended job, after the install the side to side movement of the engine has definitely been dampened. The engine is still allowed to rock in the mounts, but not as easily as before. Some of the vibration through the shifter is reduced, and I can't say that I've missed an upshift after installing. You do have to disconnect the damper to remove the transmission though.

Check this thread for more info regarding fitment issues:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...46182&hl=damper
Old 09-16-2004, 06:02 PM

Damn Slow, it looks like it's not an easy fit without making something like your custom bracket (btw, it looks really nice).

I wonder why J'sAP1's install was easier...
Old 09-16-2004, 06:15 PM
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

The 00-01 cars seem to have lower AC lines than the 02's. Vapors2k who originally prototyped it for a LHD car didn't have near the issuses I did. Vapors, dms2k, and J'sAP1 all had 01 cars versus my 02.

I'll take the glass window and crappy J's damper fitment though.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Sep 17 2004, 04:04 AM
The damper does its intended job, after the install the side to side movement of the engine has definitely been dampened. The engine is still allowed to rock in the mounts, but not as easily as before. Some of the vibration through the shifter is reduced, and I can't say that I've missed an upshift after installing. You do have to disconnect the damper to remove the transmission though.

Check this thread for more info regarding fitment issues:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...46182&hl=damper

worth all penny for this stuff for a sc car
Old 09-18-2004, 07:42 AM

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Very noticeable difference! Think the S2k has a great tranny? IMO, shifting is 100% smoother with the engine damper.

Watch your shift lever while you drive around (CAREFULLY!) and notice how much it bounces around, reflecting the movements of the engine and tranny. The engine damper reduces and slows the movements of the engine and tranny, and reduces the lateral torque movement of the engine that occurs when revving/bliping the throttle.

The engine damper also has a noticeably positive effect on the handling. Shifting through corners, and cornering over rough surfaces is definitely improved.

There are some fitment issues (at least with an '02), but installation is not difficult at all. Just make sure you have the proper wrench to reach the rear (#4) bolt on the OEM heatshield.

The OEM header heatshield won't fit with the J's heatshield. Don't run without a header heatshield or there will be a HUGE increase in the engine compartment temperature!! I made and installed a custom header heatshield in about 10 minutes using sheet aluminum, with many layers of aluminum foil behind it, and it works amazingly well.

Good luck!

-Pete

Old 09-18-2004, 03:48 PM

http://www.jsracing.co.jp/
just released the LHD kit
I hope more ppl will enjoy this mod as much as I have.

The gear shift vibration has significantly improved.
I used to missed 3rd gears one in a rare while. This prob costed me a couple of 1/10 of a sec at the drag. I have not miss third gear since and mind you I have a lot more power than what I used to have prior.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:51 PM

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone with an '04 has installed this yet and if there's still fitment issues.

Quick Reply: Engine Damper