S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine Dampener In

Old 02-22-2010, 08:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Engine Dampener In

I installed my engine dampener in the car over the weekend. The hardest part of the whole install was the heat shield, that 4th bolt is a b*tch to get at! Anyways once I got the shield off I am in no hurry to put it back on. Anyone see a problem with driving with it off?
Old 02-22-2010, 09:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Honda felt it was needed to reduce heat load on the battery... many people have decided differently. You pick your expert opinion.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the real question is: is the etd needed? i'd say not as much as the heat shield...

no, seriously. you wasted your money. use search, find the truth...
Old 02-22-2010, 11:37 AM

Well i beg to differ... have you personally driven a car without a dampener and then with?

I can tell you without a doubt it made a difference. The gear changes are crisper and the acceleration on tip in is improved. Vibration of the stick in the car has been reduced in amplitude quite a bit. Now just driving around normal, no not much of a noticeable difference, but when on the loud pedal rowing gears, it's better and I know that for a fact...

So it seems the consensus is the shield should stay, by the two sarcastic comments. Easy enough to modify and put back in. I'll added that to the list of things to do when I do brake/rotor/and line swap in March...
Old 02-22-2010, 11:42 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Buttdyno is an amazing thing.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:46 AM

Whatever I didn't ask people's opinion on the modification just on if the heat shield is a needed component.

I know it made a difference, whether you chose to believe me or not is your choice....
Old 02-22-2010, 06:48 PM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

the car came with the heat shield, both on the stock header and to block the battery & a/c lines, etc... it's clear there is a heat issue that honda felt was necessary to warrant their existence. it should be kept if possible.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drewmob,Feb 22 2010, 12:27 PM
the real question is: is the etd needed? i'd say not as much as the heat shield...

no, seriously. you wasted your money. use search, find the truth...
I got one in a trade and decided to throw it on for kicks. I wanted to believe as much as the next guy that it didn't do anything, but the butt dyno actually felt it. I think the difference has to do with the mileage. I have a lot of miles on my car so the engine mounts may be more worn then say a 2005. I could physically see the motor "torque" when it was revved, which is not apparent now. Shifts and acceleration is def. more crisp.. How this translates into wheel performance is another story.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:51 PM

damper... unless you are getting something wet
Old 02-25-2010, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by SilverS2kF22C1,Feb 22 2010, 03:37 PM
Well i beg to differ... have you personally driven a car without a dampener and then with?

I can tell you without a doubt it made a difference. The gear changes are crisper and the acceleration on tip in is improved. Vibration of the stick in the car has been reduced in amplitude quite a bit. Now just driving around normal, no not much of a noticeable difference, but when on the loud pedal rowing gears, it's better and I know that for a fact...

So it seems the consensus is the shield should stay, by the two sarcastic comments. Easy enough to modify and put back in. I'll added that to the list of things to do when I do brake/rotor/and line swap in March...
Honestly, this is probably because your engine mounts are toast.

As you know, I put the Innovative Mounts in recently, haven't had a chance to drive it since then though. I will say this - my passenger side mount was nearly ripped in two and the driver side mount was completely ripped.

I have no doubt this was why I was having issues shifting 1-2 at high rpms.

The Engine Torque Damper is a bandaid over bad engine mounts...

Quick Reply: Engine Dampener In