S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine clicking

Old 07-12-2006, 11:09 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Engine clicking

I decided to do a valve adjustment the other day. The first time I did it, I made the intake clearences the exhaust clearences and vis versa . I figured it out because my engine was making a loud ticking noise that sounded like the valvetrain. Anyway, I went back and did it again with the correct clearences and as is well or so I think. After the valve adj, my exhaust and intake are both louder (maybe because the valves wern't opening enough?) but I thought these were supposed to quiet down?

Also, my engine still has a semi loud click to it. I thought to myself that it might be the valves still but I'm 90% sure I did it right or very close to right. I think this is a problem because it did it before the VA but now its a little more audible (I'm guessing because my valves are quieter at idle now). I wanted to eliminate some other things so I got out my trusty stesicope (being an EMT has some perks ) and started listening all over the engine. After going around the whole engine, it seems the click is coming from under the engine somwhere between the oil pan and the valve cover. When I put my head under the engine, the click is a lot more audible there.

My guess is, it might be the timing tensioner since I've searched a couple threads and all have the same clicking as me. It clicks at idle, a couple times a second, and gets a little louder till about 2.5k then it goes away.

Any ideas aside from mine and if so how to go about fixing it?

Thanks
Old 07-12-2006, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the world of ticking and tapping sounds from the s2k.
I have the same noise. irregular tapping, slightly louder then the valve tick. I was guessing tensioner also.
Any chance you can record and post a video?
Old 07-12-2006, 11:43 AM

Yeah I think I should be able to get a video up later tonight / tomorrow
Old 07-12-2006, 11:43 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Put your steth on the timing chain tensioner. Is it the same sound but louder? A medical stethoscope isn't the best thing to use for this. It's too sensitive.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:14 PM

I just went outside and made a quick video. Crappy quality becuase its with my digi cam but you can hear the ticking. Although not to noticable, it is a good bit louder under the car then in the engine bay.

Right click save as:

http://home.comcast.net/~jmyers1031/MVI_1082.avi

Xviper: Is the tensioner outiside the engine (assuming its on the belt). When I was searching some posts people were saying you had to drop the oil pan to replace it. I figured that would make it inside the block?
Old 07-12-2006, 12:28 PM

It seems that you have a strange "lobing" sound, if you know what I mean. The clatter overall seems about normal.

I would deffinitly follow xviper on this one and look at the timing chain tensioner.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:45 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Jul 12 2006, 02:14 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~jmyers1031/MVI_1082.avi

Xviper: Is the tensioner outiside the engine (assuming its on the belt). When I was searching some posts people were saying you had to drop the oil pan to replace it. I figured that would make it inside the block?
I'm tending to be more inclined now, having listened to the vid, that you should target the timing chain tensioner. It is located just below the VTEC solenoid and pressure switch.
The person who has the most experience with the tensioner noise is Billman250. Maybe PM him the link to this thread and ask him to listen to it.

Oh, how's your oil level? The tensioner uses oil pressure to function.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Jul 12 2006, 03:45 PM
I'm tending to be more inclined now, having listened to the vid, that you should target the timing chain tensioner. It is located just below the VTEC solenoid and pressure switch.
The person who has the most experience with the tensioner noise is Billman250. Maybe PM him the link to this thread and ask him to listen to it.

Oh, how's your oil level? The tensioner uses oil pressure to function.
I'll pm him.

I changed my oil after doing the VA, so its at about 2-3 XX's below full. I'll try listening to the tensioner later tonight / tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-12-2006, 01:52 PM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

That is definitely NOT the t-chain tensioner.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:56 PM

i'm a little confused. Is it the "ringing" kind of sound that you constantly hear the whole time? krrrkk krrrkk krrrrkk krrrrkkk or is it actually the valve tapping.
The ringing sound..... take the cover off, make sure you didn't forget anything in there....?!

Quick Reply: Engine clicking