S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine bogging in stop & go.

Old 01-17-2003, 11:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have this behavior from my '02. I think it is normal, since I have experienced this in several previous cars with manual transmissions. If you are trying to drive really slowly in a low gear, the car is going to be VERY sensitive to throttle input. This car seems to be very challenging (for me) to drive at 5 MPH.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:16 PM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

What's the mileage on the odo?....How many miles are on the intake air filter?
Old 01-17-2003, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Luder94
What's the mileage on the odo?....How many miles are on the intake air filter?
Mine is a '02 wit 12k on it. I have about 6 on the intake and cleaned the filter about a month ago. Yeah, going 5mph is difficult in the S. My left leg gets a major work-out tho. Hehe.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:00 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kekoa
[B]

Mine is a '02 wit 12k on it.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:41 PM

I have the same symptoms with my '02. It would appear that this behavior is normal for many cars.
I posted a thread asking about this problem a few weeks ago. Here's a link.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=97835
Old 01-17-2003, 06:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by gas2k
I have the same symptoms with my '02. It would appear that this behavior is normal for many cars.
I posted a thread asking about this problem a few weeks ago. Here's a link.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=97835
Is there a reason why you never let anyone know that you tried the suggestions, and they didn't help?
Old 01-17-2003, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by Stratocaster

I have the same issue. 22k on the OD. It seams the just better then idle is where the problem is for me. You are not stopped and then it is time to go and then I look like the dog in the back of a 67 Impala (Head moving up and down). I have to step on the clutch and rev the engine (2-3k) and release the clutch to get moving. This is the only part of my Daily driver that bothers me.
I also have the same problem, but with one more symptom. The engine also bogs while stepping on the clutch and revving the engine. The air/fuel mixture must be way off target. The stop and go traffic conditions seems to be the key. The heat soak while sitting in traffic must push the temperature beyond the limits allowed for normal operation of this car. I've had this problem since day one, and still have it 73k miles later. I've even experienced this after installing the Comptech CAI, which I was hoping would correct this annoying problem.

As CDELENA said, this is most definitely a defect that needs to be addressed and corrected. If this many people experience the same thing, what else can it be?
Old 01-17-2003, 10:16 PM

Anybody with the Hondata gasket have this problem? What about Mugen thermostat and fan switch? Also, maybe a heat shield like the one in the marketpalce forum may help.
Old 01-18-2003, 05:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by reds2
Anybody with the Hondata gasket have this problem? What about Mugen thermostat and fan switch? Also, maybe a heat shield like the one in the marketpalce forum may help.
I have the Hondata gasket and Mugen stat / switch. I don't think it is heat soak related.
Old 01-18-2003, 07:14 AM

Is there a reason why you never let anyone know that you tried the suggestions, and they didn't help?
Gernby - The car hasn't been driven in the in the stop and go conditions that seem to bring out the symptoms I noted in my original post therefore I do not know if changing gasoline has diminished or eliminated the problem. MAP sensor has not been checked since car has not been in for service and my '02 does not have a fuse in the #25 position as you suggested could be source of problem. I called the dealer and dealer says 'putting a fuse in this position would be a placebo - expect no change'

I'm annoyed by symptoms like these as are other drivers. If the problems went away I would have posted saying so to help others that may have been having similar problems.

Quick Reply: Engine bogging in stop & go.