S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine bogging in stop & go.

Old 01-17-2003, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine bogging in stop & go.

I have no idea why this happens but in stop and go traffic, my car bogs a lot in first and second gear and also surges sometimes. It mainly happens when I'm using light throttle in first gear. When I depress the gas pedal, nothing happens and the car almost dies until I depress the clutch. Are there any mods such as thermostat or other cooling mods that may help this or.......
Old 01-17-2003, 08:41 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This has been reported by many. You know about the MAP sensor thing, right? You can try the old "thump the MAP sensor" trick and see if this helps or have the dealer check it.
This engine bay gets extremely hot in stop and go traffic. You can look into either by-passing the TB coolant circuit or consider the "Hondata" manifold gasket mod to block the flow of coolant into the TB altogether. You can also consider getting a good CAI and even insulating it if the problems pursists.
Also, this problem may be aggravated (but not necessarily) by the A/C being on and putting additional loads on the engine. This issue can be side-stepped by either not using the A/C (not an option where you live) or hope that the ECU will learn to compensate for the dropping rpm after a few episodes. Every summer, my car does this, but after it almost dies several times, it won't do it again for the rest of those weeks or months that I would use the A/C.
Good Luck!
Old 01-17-2003, 08:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]This has been reported by many.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:09 AM

Guys, I'm sorry for my ignorance, but I'm clueless on the MAP sensor thing. Also, I'm not using AC when this happens. I already have an AEM CAI also. I'm afraid that if I go to the dealer, they won't be able to duplicate the problem. I just don't want them to do a bunch of digging and make things worse ya know.

What is the benefit of the Hondata gasket bypassing coolant to the throttle body??
Old 01-17-2003, 09:14 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kekoa
[B]Guys, I'm sorry for my ignorance, but I'm clueless on the MAP sensor thing.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:14 AM

I finally had this problem the other day. I realized I only had 1 bar on the gas gage... filled up and the problem went away.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by Red_s2k
I finally had this problem the other day. I realized I only had 1 bar on the gas gage... filled up and the problem went away.
For me gas isn't an issue. The only constant factors seem to be:
1. Stop and go traffic
2. light throttle in 1st or 2nd gear
Old 01-17-2003, 09:20 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kekoa
[B]

For me gas isn't an issue.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:02 AM

What I am wondering is whether or not the intake install was not perfect. Can you tie the stalling with the time the intake was instaledl?

From personal experience, if there is a leak in the intake, that would cause the stalling.

bassem
Old 01-17-2003, 10:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A leak in the intake wouldn't cause this type of a problem, it would only allow a small amount of unfiltered air into the TB.

Quick Reply: Engine bogging in stop & go.