S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine Blow question

Old 12-14-2007, 04:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Dec 14 2007, 06:16 PM
I have engaged the wrong gear MANY times, almost always under pressure and during hard cornering, but I always notice the mistake before getting the clutch out far enough to over rev the engine. The shift feels different for each gear, and if you are paying attention you can't miss the fact that it felt wrong
I think that this is the difference between the experienced driver and the novice: not that an experienced driver can't engage the wrong gear, but that the experienced driver catches the mistake before any damage is done.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Dec 14 2007, 04:05 PM
MikeyCB, people mod for so many different reasons that I have become convinced that I no longer feel that I can make statements like "far better" without qualification. I personally have a "modification jones" that goes way beyond just cars, and modifications can be motivated by almost anything, including change for the sake of change. "Gains" come in many forms.
I forgot to preface with "in my opinion" like I usually do to avoid potential arguments

To the OP, my feeling about it is that the mechanicals of the S are so strong and really only sees issues when inappropriately used. I think that's a rare quality in vehicles these days so in terms of the "best" modification to avoid mechanical problems and blowing the engine, I'm much more inclined to say "mod yourself."

Of course, as they start to age they'll eventually be prone to the same problems that other cars experience, such as failing head gaskets and such. I would say the majority of S's out there that haven't been substantially modified with FI and such on stock head gaskets are still a little ways away from that being a huge concern though.

If you are still genuinely concerned, you can go to town on the valve train but keep in mind that if you beef it up to handle higher RPMs with things like titatium springs, for example, that the life span of the parts may lessen while the durability of them increases. You'll handle overrevs better if that's a frequent error for you, but your car may need attention a little more often than stock.

Well, those are my thoughts on it!
Old 12-14-2007, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k,Dec 14 2007, 08:39 PM
I think that this is the difference between the experienced driver and the novice: not that an experienced driver can't engage the wrong gear, but that the experienced driver catches the mistake before any damage is done.
I sure can't disagree with you or MikeyCB, 'cause good training and practice are most certainly the best way to reduce the chance of the driver blowing the engine with a missed shift.

Honda has shown us how to reduce the chance of a missed shift causing engine damage. Lower the redline, put in a heavier flywheel, the latter giving the driver more time to realize his mistake and get the clutch back in, and then on top of that add a CDV to slip the clutch even more, and you've opened up a much bigger time window for the driver to see his mistake and clutch in before the engine is damaged. Of course then you have to increase the displacement to make up for the lost performance, but Honda did that too. One way to reduce the chance of a money shift damaging the engine is to buy an AP2, and you get more torque and power along with the added protection. Even so, the AP2 will still bend exhaust valves if the driver throws a money shift and doesn't realize it quickly enough. Nothing that isn't trivial is ever totally fool proof. Neither training nor mods is any guarentee, because Murphy's Law still applies.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:20 PM

only the driver can explode the engine, it is not capable of doing it on it's own
Old 12-14-2007, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's not quite true. When anything is manufactured in quantity, there are occassionally defective parts. Even when parts are subjected to aerospace or nuclear standards, defects sometimes happen.

Let's face it: the problems with Odyssey transimissions are likely not caused by the drivers.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:53 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

odyssey's, tl's, and accords.

but that's in the past.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Dec 14 2007, 07:16 PM
Get a death grip on the shifter, force the shifts HARD, and focus on your footwork, the chick walking by, or the pylons you almost hit in the last corner, and you greatly increase the chances of screwing up.

This shifter is quite short, so it's not like you have to move 6" to the left for 1st vs 3rd. And the synchros are very, very good. The steering is also very quick, and just a slight twitch can put you where you don't want to be, shouldn't be, or can't physically be. Gee it sounds like I'm complaining, but I'm not.

These are nice things to have in a car and contribute to why I bought the car (and was shopping for this kind of car) in the first place, but you are exactly right... All it takes is too much attention on one thing (foot position in my case) and something bad happens; you can apex a turn and curb your wheel ( ) or you select the wrong gear and maybe if you are lucky you feel the clutch dragging the engine RPM up rapidly, it seems odd, and your reflex is to shove the clutch back to the floor and check that yes, in fact, you did select 2nd gear instead of 4th gear.

I'm an excellent driver, really.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:05 AM

[QUOTE=Davemeister,Dec 15 2007, 01:24 PM]All it takes is too much attention on one thing (foot position in my case) and something bad happens; you can apex a turn and curb your wheel ( ) or you select the wrong gear and maybe if you are lucky you feel the clutch dragging the engine RPM up rapidly, it seems odd, and your reflex is to shove the clutch back to the floor and check that yes, in fact, you did select 2nd gear instead of 4th gear.

I'm an excellent driver, really.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:38 AM

Yes, it does make sense!

My old car, I could heel & toe, rev-match and double-clutch downshifts in my sleep. Of course that was after 2 years of doing it all the time...

Just the fact that the foot position was a little different (in my old car, I just rocked my foot; in the S, I have to pivot my heel, too) was enough of a distraction that I had to really pay attention to it. And, that's when I whacked the curb. Overthinking it... just as you say.

I think I might get one of those wider gas pedals. And driving the car more would be good. Right now there's 4" of snow on the ground, though.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Davemeister,Dec 16 2007, 01:38 PM
Yes, it does make sense!

My old car, I could heel & toe, rev-match and double-clutch downshifts in my sleep. Of course that was after 2 years of doing it all the time...

Just the fact that the foot position was a little different (in my old car, I just rocked my foot; in the S, I have to pivot my heel, too) was enough of a distraction that I had to really pay attention to it. And, that's when I whacked the curb. Overthinking it... just as you say.

I think I might get one of those wider gas pedals. And driving the car more would be good. Right now there's 4" of snow on the ground, though.
I have eyed the wider gas pedals too. If you get one and it helps, let me know.

Quick Reply: Engine Blow question