S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine Blow question

Old 12-14-2007, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by breakneckS2k,Dec 14 2007, 04:35 PM
it's all about whether the driver's "blow proof" or not. and even then, everyone makes mistakes...
Hahaha, we were posting at the same time, and thinking the same thing, but you beat me to it.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Dec 14 2007, 02:41 PM
Seriously though, one of us needs to give the OP a decent answer to his question, becaue the guy might actually be serious.
Yes, I thought it had kind of been covered so I didn't feel too bad turning the thread in to an immature comedy venue

The amount you'll spend to beef up everything mechanically is money far better spent on parts the yield positive results in terms of performance, and driver training/education. Of course you could always go nuts and spend thousands on parts that will give you no gains, but allow you to drive incorrectly and abuse your car without hurting it. I'd say this is more covering up the effect as opposed to removing or reducing the cause.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by topgun2898,Dec 13 2007, 11:56 PM
Even though Im mildly modded (CAI, single exhaust, header), is it still possible to blow my engine?
Yes.

What things/factors can cause an engine to blow?
The most common cause of blown S2000 engines seems to be the infameous "money shift" or "mechanical over rev." This happens when the road speed is too high for the gear that is engaged, causing the engine to over rev, often enough to do internal damage. With the F20C's the damage may not show up for a while so an inspection is in order. With the F22C's, there is no doubt about the damage becaue it's immediately apparent.

Insufficient oil pressure, an ineffective cooling system, clogged injectors, ...
The list of things that can contribute to engine failure is just too long to list.

Given reasonable care, and left stock, the S2000 engines are unlikely to "blow" unless there is a mechanical over rev.

I also want to eventually get a VAFC2, but I'll have it pro tuned by Shawn Church. So should I be in the clear of blowing my engine?
Again, no. Tuning will eleminate some potential causes of engine failure, but not all of them. Shawn's tuning can't prevent you from making a money shift, and it won't have any effect on the care the car receives. That's all up to you.

If you are really asking if your engine is at (greater) risk due to your current mods (I/H/E) then all I can say for sure is that short of monitoring the A/F, there is no way to be sure, BUT, you're *probably* OK. Your early AP1 runs richer than the later cars, so you have a larger margin for error. That said though, I am NOT going to tell you that you're OK, because I can't be positive without seeing some A/F data. Running too lean can also distroy an engine.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:03 PM

Oh, the money shift! I cannot stress enough, that before you make that shift, which is usually done fast with enough adrenaline running through your veins to fuel a rocketship, that you THINK before shifting! I have seen a lot of people over the years do it! I myself have never done it, but WAS CLOSE! I actually shifted, but didnt let out the clutch, and something told me, HOLD OFF on the clutch. Im glad I did, because i was in the midst of a "money shift". I aborted, and never did the unthinkable. So... be aware, and be calm and concise!

Chad
Old 12-14-2007, 01:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jyeung528,Dec 14 2007, 11:05 AM
...unless you purchase the certified-blow-proof sticker and install it on the block. i'm selling them for a discounted price of $150 for a limited time only.
Do you sell distributors for the s2000 too because it looks like mine didnt come with one? the carburator isnt looking to good either.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:44 PM

Thats because its fuel injected ..... duuuuuh! LMAO!
Old 12-14-2007, 02:05 PM

[QUOTE=MikeyCB,Dec 14 2007, 04:49 PM]Yes, I thought it had kind of been covered so I didn't feel too bad turning the thread in to an immature comedy venue

The amount you'll spend to beef up everything mechanically is money far better spent on parts the yield positive results in terms of performance, and driver training/education.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by 8 GRAND,Dec 14 2007, 05:03 PM
I myself have never done it, but WAS CLOSE! I actually shifted, but didnt let out the clutch, and something told me, HOLD OFF on the clutch. Im glad I did, because i was in the midst of a "money shift". I aborted, and never did the unthinkable. So... be aware, and be calm and concise!
I have engaged the wrong gear MANY times, almost always under pressure and during hard cornering, but I always notice the mistake before getting the clutch out far enough to over rev the engine. The shift feels different for each gear, and if you are paying attention you can't miss the fact that it felt wrong, and that fact has always left me wondering how so many people manage to make such horrible mistakes with the S2000. I think it all comes down to an excitement overload, and since I tend to be extremely relaxed (when I am "in the groove") it's hard to see how others make so many fatal errors.

If your heart is racing and the small of your back is aching from the pressure, you're way too hyped up to drive well and get everything right. Performance (as a driver) comes from relaxing and getting into a "grove" where the physical actions happen automatically, with any deviations from the norm being immediately apparent (and usually correctable).

Get a death grip on the shifter, force the shifts HARD, and focus on your footwork, the chick walking by, or the pylons you almost hit in the last corner, and you greatly increase the chances of screwing up.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by eDiesel,Dec 14 2007, 05:07 PM
Do you sell distributors for the s2000 too because it looks like mine didnt come with one? the carburator isnt looking to good either.
Hahaha, back in the mid 60's my best friend had a Plymouth with a flathead that was on it's last leg. We managed to get it started one day (no small feat ), but it wasn't long before the car was overheating badly. So we pulled into a gas station to try to cool the car down some, running cool water over the radiator and then carefully popping the radiator cap and topping off the water. Just about the time I started topping off the water (with the engine restarted to purge the air), the station attendant came over to see what was going on. At that point the engine was misfiring so badly that it was jumping all over the place, and the attendet was just standing there staring at the engine with a blank expression (probably speachless ). Seeing a chance to increase his confusion, I went back and got a spare distributor out of the trunk (the trunk was also my buddys spare parts storage shed), held it behind my back, and started a conversation with the attendant.

ME - "That doesn't look good, does it?"

HE - "Nope, sure don't."

ME - "It's been this way ever since we overhauled it, and I think it may have something to do with some of the parts we had left over."

At that point I held out the distributor and asked the guy, "Do you have any idea where this thing is suppose to go?"

The poor sucker swallowed it hook, line, and sinker; Started stuttering/babbling to himself and searching around under the hood of the car looking for the distributor. For a few moments the guy actually thought the car was running without a distributor.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:53 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, thats good! Poor bugger!

Chad

Quick Reply: Engine Blow question