S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine blew

Old 10-31-2003, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You did 258 mph in a 230 rwhp S2000???? Did you have a rocket mounted to the rear or do you think we are retarded? Please explain how this is possible? Did you change the gearing and aerodynamics of the car?
Old 10-31-2003, 08:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.scta-bni.org/Bonneville/Speedwe...sults_final.htm

Bottom right hand photo from page one:
Old 10-31-2003, 05:43 PM

How long did it take to hit 258mph and did you hit WOT right off the launch or slow take off or... ?

Just curious.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:08 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

That is wicked cool, as we New Englanders like to say.

Anyway, poor poster, I had a chat with the AHM guy who writes Tech Bulletins for the S2000 last weekend. He told me that there are conclusive pieces of evidence for when your engine is taken over 10,700 RPM (I think that was the number he mentioned). Not only do the valves fail to operate properly, but I think it's the guides that get destroyed and the Honda guys can tell this when they rip apart your engine.

I wish you the best. Many folks have contended that there is some design flaw in the car's lubrication system, but as far as I know that was all hearsay. If the Honda guys tell you it's overrev., have them explain it in detail and get pictures of the parts of your engine that they claim evidentiary.

Good luck.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:25 PM

Hey all, good news, Honda bought me a brand new engine. Just got the car back today. I'm a little concerned since i don't believe the mechanics at the dealership are as good as the ones who put my car together, but then again, i dont have a choice on who puts it together. I got the car back and there is a ticking noise that really gets on my nerves. It sounds like lifters, but I dont believe the s2000 has lifters. It's a ticking sound and its driving me mad. I have only driven the new engine for about 40 miles or so and i'm thinking maybe its just because its new? I have no clue. ANy input?
Old 10-31-2003, 07:28 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Check your oil immediately.

Otherwise, congrats. Did the dealer explain what happened to your other engine?? Just curious.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:52 PM

The car has solid "lifters", actually cam followers, so it won't give you "lifter" noise. But one of the follower adjusting screws may not have been snugged and may be backing off. Try getting a long screwdriver, or a stethescope (spelling?) or a 3 foot piece of fuel hose and listening around the engine, touching the point of the screwdriver here and there and putting the handle to your ear, or putting one end of the hose hear and there (the other end in your ear) and try to isolate the noise. Also take off the oil filler cap while the car is running and see if the noise gets louder.

Another trick is hang a piece of paper across the tailpipe. If it rythmically pulses it will sort of indicate things are fine although it's not very firm evidence. If, on the other hand, the paper sucks to the tailpipe every few revolutions, it can indicate problems with the valve train.

Good luck and congrats on the new mill. And I'd like to know what happened to your original also.

All the best,

Jim
Old 10-31-2003, 08:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This is great news. The techs must have found no evidence of over-rev.
That ticking should be of some concern. In their inexperience with putting one of these engines together, the techs may not have placed enough attention to the valves. You might consider getting them adjusted. As already said, it could also be poor lubrication of the valve train.
Old 10-31-2003, 08:12 PM

they didnt specify what happened to the original engine. When they read into the cars computer to see what had happened during the last 30 minutes before the engine died, it read blank. There was nothing, which i find very odd, either they are lying to me or it actually is blank.
>jimknapp, thanks for your advice. THe sound is driving me nuts and i'm a little worried. I'll do what you suggested in the morning.
Old 10-31-2003, 08:14 PM

xviper> would u suggest having the dealer adjusting the valves or going somewhere else? Also, my hardtop came in and they say they will need my car for two days to install. I thought it only took three hours or at the most a full day to install? Does this sound odd to anyone?

Quick Reply: Engine blew