S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine blew

Old 10-22-2003, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhhhhh! I'm seeing double. Same suggestions different members. Here's the link to the same thread in s2000 talk

http://forums.s2ki.com//forums/showthread....367#post2400367
Old 10-22-2003, 12:42 PM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NABAREV
well i have unfortunatly mis shifted before to a lower gear than I wanted. But I caught it before the rev limiter bounced, so i really dont think overrevving is a possibility. I mean, the rev limiter would bounce if the speed of the car exceeded the rpm limit due to the gear right? It never bounced and I hit the clutch immediatley.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:14 PM

ok, what i mean by bounce is, the rpm gauge did not go into the red. I pressed the clutch as soon as i let it out pretty much. I'm not too sure about the speed I was going.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:18 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NABAREV
well i have unfortunatly mis shifted before to a lower gear than I wanted. But I caught it before the rev limiter bounced, so i really dont think overrevving is a possibility. I mean, the rev limiter would bounce if the speed of the car exceeded the rpm limit due to the gear right? It never bounced and I hit the clutch immediatley.
Old 10-24-2003, 05:38 AM

There are several possibilities here and hope Honda covers it for you. Keep us informed!
Old 10-24-2003, 05:20 PM

My engine blew also on Wednesday. I too was not driving hard, weather was clear. Mine however is now in dispute with the dealership. The bolt that holds the timing gear in place came out and I believe that caused my engine to seize. They think I hit something puncturing the oil pan causing the engine to seize. Outside mechanics agree with my diagnosis. It was very coincidental that after I had it in for oil change all this happened. I'm not very happy...

That is the bolt that is missing. Good luck with yours. Hopefully they won't try to screw you like they did to me. But who knows... we're the enemy.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, maybe i'll go check the torque on my bolt.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:11 PM

I am sorry to hear that. After I read your post, I went into the garage to check mine. It is still there. I have heard that the spark plugs can loosen over time as well, damaging the engine. I am going to keep an eye on those as well. No matter How you slice it, if something is going to happen, it's gonna happen.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:44 PM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RACER
Old 10-29-2003, 06:09 PM

Hydro lock can happen from too much water getting in someplace. Hardly possible, but I don't know what a cai is either. When you start a hyydro locked motor, sometimes there is just barely too much water to fill the combustion chamber and ther leverage angle between the crank throw and the rod being what it is right there, it provides a TREMENDOUS amount of puch on things, and bends the rod... just a wee bit. Things are just fine for a while, sometimes days, until you wind it once and then it lets go. But usually this kind of let go is accompanied by rattling end wrenches in a garbage can kind of noise.

In a later post you say pistons hit valves, but did anything come out the oil pan? Valve to piston tap dancing means the cam or cam chain or related parts screwed up. If all they did was bend you probably have no oil pan holes. If a head snapped off and jammed a piston at speed you probably need a whole new block and everything.

As for over reving, I run the world's fastest Honda and the other day I screwed up the 4-5 shift AND the 5-6 shift. Both times the data logger said I went to 10,000, but then it tops out at 10,000 so it could have been a bit more. This is well used motor that has blown a head gasket from a warped head caused by over heating and has got rust on the cam lobes from sitting with water in the oil. BTW I have missed shifted like this probably 8 or 10 times and the little mill stills hauls the mail.

As to how fast it will go in each gear, I usually do about 70 in first, bout 108 in 2nd, 151 in 3rd, 190 or so in 4th, and then in 5th the fun begins. 230 in 5th and the other day I got her to 258.839 in 6th. That's MPH not Kilos. Man I love these motors. Sorry to hear about yours. Seems like a warranty candidate.

Quick Reply: Engine blew