S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine blew

Old 10-21-2003, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine blew

I've had my precious car for a little less than 2 months. I have around 3700 miles on it and yesterday on my way to school the engine blew.
I was accelerating at around 6-7k rpm when all of a sudden I felt the car lose power, i took my foot off the throttle and when the revs dropped, the engine completley stalled. When I pulled over the car wouldnt even start again. Anyone hear of this happening before? All I have done to the car is a comptech cai, and the weather was very dry and sunny yesterday.
I have no idea what happened and my dealership is tearing down my engine as we speak to see what happened. They say Honda Manufacturer has no record of a S2000 doing this before. The only thing i can think of is the day before yesterday, it was raining a little. I drove but I never went thru any puddles, and it was drizzling, not even a bad rain storm. So i doubt it is hydro lock.
The dealer said they are going to check for hydrolock and over revving the engine. Now i'm not sure about this, but wouldnt the engine break down either immediatley or very soon after over revving? I was way below red line. sigh. If anyone has any info or experience on this kind of thing please please respond.

Thanks

PS> I have plenty of oil and I had just gotten it changed a week ago. Also, I broke the engine in very well, didnt go over 6000 rpm till after 600 miles. Even after that I took it easy till about 1100 miles.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds peculiar. If it was dry and sunny today, I doubt it was hydrolock, because that is an immediate effect. Unless somehow a large amount of water had somehow collected in your Comptech CAI (I'm not familiar with its design, so I don't know if that's possible).
As for overrev damage, I don't think that is always immediately evident. Have you overreved the engine in the past? If so, that is definitely a possible cause. If not, I wouldn't worry too much, because Honda will probably replace the engine under warranty.

Good luck, and I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:49 PM

well i have unfortunatly mis shifted before to a lower gear than I wanted. But I caught it before the rev limiter bounced, so i really dont think overrevving is a possibility. I mean, the rev limiter would bounce if the speed of the car exceeded the rpm limit due to the gear right? It never bounced and I hit the clutch immediatley.
Thanks
Old 10-21-2003, 01:06 PM

Had you checked the oil level lately?
Old 10-21-2003, 01:10 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NABAREV
well i have unfortunatly mis shifted before to a lower gear than I wanted. But I caught it before the rev limiter bounced, so i really dont think overrevving is a possibility. I mean, the rev limiter would bounce if the speed of the car exceeded the rpm limit due to the gear right? It never bounced and I hit the clutch immediatley.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:57 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you over-revved the car on some point(s), it may not be evident immediately. You may have caused minor damage or fatigue to some of the bits that won't surface till later. If they find evidence of over-rev ............................
Old 10-21-2003, 04:01 PM

Do you post in the New England S2000 owners Forum?
Old 10-21-2003, 05:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like there's a lot of engine blows lately...
Old 10-21-2003, 06:08 PM

no i dont post there? why?
I went to the dealership to look at the engine (they took it apart today). IT is completley destroyed. The pistons hit the valves and everything went to hell from there. THey say it LOOKS like over rev but I HAVENT over revved the car. I was around 6-7k rpm at the time, and i havent over revved before either. The guys at the dealership are nice but they have to call in a tech from honda to look at it before it can be covered by the warranty. The tech will also take a look at the cars comp to see what happened before the engine died which will hopefully save my a$$ because i wasn't driving hard. I'm just really frustrated with the whole situation, I have heard several other blown engines for what seems no reason. Could there have been something wrong with the timing chain that caused this? What could have failed or not worked correctly to cause this? I'm worried about what the tech is going to decide. I hope he doesnt think i'm just some young punk kid (i'm 22) who doesnt know how to treat a car. I take better care of my cars than anyone i know. Anyone know of any other reasons my engine could have died?
Thanks
Old 10-21-2003, 08:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I am only answering your question and this should not be construed as taking sides. Whether or not you over-revved your engine is between you and your own conscience.
There has been an example of an owner in Victoria, B.C., Canada this past summer where the tech discovered that the timing chain tensioner was faulty. They caught this before any damage was done. The parts took forever to arrive. Had this situation not have been caught in time, I suppose what happened to you could have happened to him.
Also, it has been reported that a spark plug backing out can cause horrendous problems. The plug can break apart, sending pieces into the combustion chamber. Your plugs should have been inspected by now and I'm sure they would have seen this if it were a problem.

Quick Reply: Engine blew