S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

"Engine almost/stalls at a stop and idle drop"

Old 05-04-2010, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Engine almost/stalls at a stop and idle drop"

Like the title says... i have a "Engine almost/stalls at a stop. Engine idle drop/studder/bog" situation where it's getting really annoying. Before it would just ALMOST stalls at a stop or even in second gear. Now it actually stalls around 1st and 2nd gear, sometimes even in 3rd while slowing down. I have the following things done: changed spark plugs (NGK Iridium), clean fuel injectors (STP or gumout? i forgot), clean K&N filter, change Map sensor (oem) and did Oil change (castrol syntec 10w 30 w/oem oil filter). I just bought the car and the previous owner did a F***ing terrible job maintaining it. :angry4: I don't even think he even maintain it at ALL. There was about 1qt and 1/4 of oil left in engine when i did the oil change and it was black. Spark plugs were dark brown almost to black. K&N filter was filthy and dirty. Got the K&N recharger kit and made it almost brand new The guy is pissing me off but enough of that. My next things to do is clean the IACV and have a mechanic do a scan on my car since the engine check light is on. The check engine light could be the o2 senor cause of the messed up cat converter. I am going to switch the cat to invidia test pipe and do the nonfouler trick. I was also thinking about cleaning the TB. I did alot of research and was hoping for more advice. I saw i thread that says the GM fuel injector cleaner part # 88861011 is good? can anyone confirm? The car feels like its running really rich. I dont have a good mpg and the exhaust is pretty dirty.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:29 AM

I'm having the same issues.
I currently have a thread on (under the hood) to see what sensor is best to swap map. (my case map was cracked)

In your case, I would go on and clean the IACV, it's pretty easy along the TB.
Also get some contact cleaner (for electronics @ radioshack) and clean sensors plugs and connectors. also fast your map+connector with zip tie.

ALSO clean the idle speed valve on the TB sometimes gunk build up fast on it obstructing air passage.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:42 AM

its your cat....its getting clogged so gasses have no where to go.. same thing just happend to me. it feels like theres no back pressure so it tries to stall at low RPMs. i also got a CEL for the cat being inefficent. but now i have a test pipe and it doesnt do it anymore.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:45 AM

try to clean out your IACV (attached to the back of the intake manifold --> you should see coolant lines attached to it).

*on a sidenote, the car only had 1 1/4 oil on the car before you changed it?!?! thats really low!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah you thats way low on oil. I honestly wouldnt be surprised if your cylinders started to score. I had to replace my block b/c the previous owner ran it low on oil and it started knocking bad. I would check it every week and before and after longer drives. AP1's take alot of oil to keep em going.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by suzuka-blue-s2k,May 4 2010, 10:51 AM
AP1's take alot of oil to keep em going.
Not really, mine uses about 1qt (knocking on wood) of oil every 4K miles, or less oil if i'm not abusing her.

NiceTAN, is the car trying to stall while in gear, or is this a neutral thing? Mine does this every once in a while but goes away on its own, think its releated to ECU learning.....

good luck!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 06:23 AM

sry but somehow I tracked and subscribe to the topic but never sent me emails on replies... frustrating

but anyways... this is an update:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry19146231

it's not the cat cause I have a TP with new o2 sensor and its still the same. cleaned IACV. YUP! 1 1/4 qt!! Still drives me crazy every time I think about it! I dont hear any knocking on engine (knock on wood) but I do need a valve adjustment and I read for some ppl, that solved alot. Hopefully thats the problem.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:48 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

It's because you guys are cruising in N to the stop.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine started doing this a year or two ago. Then I installed the Greddy turbo kit and Berk HFC and it got worse, to the point where it stalled 4 times one day just going to lunch.

I haven't done anything about it, and surprisingly it's driven flawlessly for the past two weeks. Sporadic weirdness... I'm curious to hear if you nail down the cause.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

any updates? I'm getting same thing, mainly when the weather is hot and ac is on. Rpms drop to almost stalling when hot. It's stalls if ac is on and it's hot.

Quick Reply: "Engine almost/stalls at a stop and idle drop"