S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Emissions air pump failed? Better check it...

Old 11-11-2005, 12:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Emissions air pump failed? Better check it...

As some of you know, my emissions air pump failed (that heavy, practically useless pump hiding in the driver's side front bumper). Well, I finally got around to pulling it out this past weekend, and wouldn't you know it, the rear of the casing was melted and stretched. The impeller was frozen solid, couldn't move that sucker if my life depended on it.

OK, shit happens, it lasted 4 years. But here's the fun part... I went to swap it with someone else's and theirs was melted in the same manner. We were able to tear them down and rebuild them to working order, but it was a PITA. I know there have been stories of more failures, but i'm wondering how many have failed in the same way (poor engineering, IMO).

So, next time you have the bumper off, look behind the metal frame of the pump at the impeller housing... if you see the case melted and stretched outward, expect it to fail soon. A new pump costs $450, I'll repair yours for $200
Old 11-16-2005, 07:18 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Did you have any problem since this?

I've checked mine. (I had CEL for 3yrs.) I just replaced the air pump relay. cosmetically, it looks ok. but I found water trapped in electrical connectors. I think it might have come from opened faux vent. I've put some grease and put them back on. I hope this was the case...

btw, did you cut out your faux vent?
Old 11-16-2005, 08:55 AM

That particular vent was never opened, so it's not due to water ingestion (same on the other vehicle mentioned). For whatever reason, the impeller at some point contacted the sidewalls and heated up the casing plastic. Once that began, all it probably took was a minute or two of running for the continual contact to melt and aerate the plastic, making a very lightweight plastic foam that seized the impeller. It took some time to clean it all out, but a thin layer of electrical grease was applied on the impeller's edge for continual lubrication.

I hear the pump running when cold, but I now have a CEL due to the test pipe I'm running Until I get the chance to run to AutoZone and pull the code, I can't say for sure if the issue has been solved.

There's a bit of irony in that I spent so much time trying to get the emissions pump working, only to remove the item the pump was designed to help, the catalytic converter
Old 11-16-2005, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i may have one within 24hours so let me know if anyone needs it
Old 12-02-2005, 08:04 PM

MacGyver,
could you tell me how to disassemble air pump? I removed clips and screws but it doesn't come apart.

C4SxM5,
do you still have yours? how much do you want for them?

cheers,
Old 12-02-2005, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

still have it and price is $250, a few $ cheaper than the last one on ebay
Old 12-04-2005, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by nibble,Dec 3 2005, 01:04 AM
MacGyver,
could you tell me how to disassemble air pump? I removed clips and screws but it doesn't come apart.
A sharp blade and a hefty screwdriver... you have to crack open the case.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The air pump is warranted for 7 years / 70K miles as part of the California emissions warranty, but they could make a case it is only 3/36 under the the federal emissions warranty. Since the parts are all the same (some covered for 8/80) I would make the case it should be repaired under warranty before I attempted a repair.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:13 PM

Sure, cd, NOW you tell me Too late for me, case already broken into and pump repaired.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:05 PM

thanks for the information.

Quick Reply: Emissions air pump failed? Better check it...