S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Eliminatin Torque Steer?

Old 04-05-2021, 04:51 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,233 Likes on 1,077 Posts

I had the same question regarding all-season tires but you have them and they're new and with a TW rating of 560 you're gonna have them for a long time. Great tires in the snow on my wife's Subaru Legacy 3.6R.

Are the tires properly mounted on the car? These are directional with the little arrow on the sidewall showing normal rotation. Tire shops have been known to mount the tires on the wrong side of the car. (And similarly mount mount asymmetrics wrong side out.)

I can't find the model year of your car nor the wheel and tire sizes. Higher profile 16" tires have more sidewalls to flex than 17" tires. New tires are typically slightly squirmy until they wear in a little.

Good luck on the fix. Once you move beyond design standards it gets tricky. The car was designed for extreme performance summer tires in specific and staggered wheel/tire sizes.

-- Chuck
Old 04-05-2021, 07:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
Please slow down. You should never take a car to 105 mph on public roadways.

let alone one that doesn’t seem well sorted.
Please don't make such brash assumptions.

Originally Posted by Billman250
What is your front toe set at?
I've attached an alignment sheet.

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
This car doesn't appreciate all season tires. Why didn't you go for summer tires?
To be honest, I wanted to make sure incase something happened to my main car, I would still have a secondary car to drive with. This is a summer car, but I felt with all-seasons, I would still be able to use it in the winter, if needed. We get a fair bit of snow where I live.

Old 04-07-2021, 05:44 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Be aware its not really possible to get this car to handle properly without summer tires.

Its partly the compound, but moreso the sidewall stiffness. Actually, the stiffer the sidewall the better the handling. Better as in closer to what the car was designed to be.

In fact, many here select summer tires based on their sidewall, not their traction.

An ordinary car on all seasons just has lower limits. An S with sloppy sidewalls drives spooky.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:47 AM

I have the same tires on my Model S and 120+ mph still feels fine and stable. That was actually why I went for them for the S2000.

I know it's a different car and the Model S is more expensive and new tech, but the S2000 feels more.....floaty. Like it's not gliding over the small bumps and such in the road, it's all getting transferred to the chassis. That's why I was wondering if I could do for some suspension upgrading.... The grip feels fine, it's the way the body rolls and doesn't feel fully planted to the ground.

I'm just not convinced it's something to do with the tires. I mean, DWS 06 were developed specifically for all-season use on sports cars and exotics.

Last edited by Rewire; 04-07-2021 at 05:50 AM.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:49 AM

Received 435 Likes on 324 Posts

It is not a brash statement to say going 105 mph is not safe, smart, or considerate.

It is not brash to call a sports car that pulls to the right at random something other than well sorted.

Of course you drive a Tesla at 120 mph on public roads. Of course.
The following users liked this post:
Jub (04-07-2021)
Old 04-07-2021, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
It is not a brash statement to say going 105 mph is not safe, smart, or considerate.

It is not brash to call a sports car that pulls to the right at random something other than well sorted.

Of course you drive a Tesla at 120 mph on public roads. Of course.
You have no clue where I'm driving my cars.

Get out of here if you're not going to help, troll.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if they fixed this issue in manufacturing yet, but I had DWS06s on a Mazda5 that felt a little shaky / unpredictable at highway speeds. My local garage took a look when I had it in for other things and showed me the issue by having it spin on their balancing machine. A few of the tires were slightly out of round and would cause the issue I was feeling.

It was a common issue with the DWS06 tires from what I read in my limited research, maybe that is what you are feeling.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by kraquepype
Not sure if they fixed this issue in manufacturing yet, but I had DWS06s on a Mazda5 that felt a little shaky / unpredictable at highway speeds. My local garage took a look when I had it in for other things and showed me the issue by having it spin on their balancing machine. A few of the tires were slightly out of round and would cause the issue I was feeling.

It was a common issue with the DWS06 tires from what I read in my limited research, maybe that is what you are feeling.
Thanks,

I will look into having the tires re-balanced. I'm not sure if they were just mounted, I'll have to look at the paperwork.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:37 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,865 Likes on 2,077 Posts

Originally Posted by Rewire
You have no clue where I'm driving my cars.

Get out of here if you're not going to help, troll.
Please keep in mind if you post on a public forum how fast you drive you're gonna get some flack from other users. Scroll past it if you don't like it, no need to report a post you don't like.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:43 AM
Jub

Received 417 Likes on 327 Posts

You have a toe difference of .07 degrees per side in the rear. Not saying that is necessarily your issue but that is more variance than I'd be happy with.

Quick Reply: Eliminatin Torque Steer?