S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Eliminatin Torque Steer?

Old 12-02-2020, 01:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Eliminatin Torque Steer?

Hey guys.

When I downshift, even when I rev-match best I can, I'm getting a pulling to the right, like only one wheel is turning when the clutch is partially engaged.

Differential problems perhaps?
Old 12-02-2020, 02:28 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Tire pressure the same, all around? Same tire type/brand? Same age of tires?
Old 12-02-2020, 02:47 AM

Could be it.

I bought the car off someone else recently, as my previous posts can show. The tires need to be replaced 100% for sure. The front and rear sets match, but they are different brands and styles. I can check the pressures. No clue their age.
Old 12-02-2020, 03:06 AM

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

Torque steer on deceleration is impossible, and it's predominately a front-wheel-drive issue.

Tire pressures is huge on this car, they have to be bang on, followed by the tires themselves. Once you ensure you have 4 correct matching tires, that aren't 100 years old, and have the correct tire pressures go for another drive and re-check. Secondly, ensure all your calipers are free and no pads are seized in the carriers. Highly unlikely the differential will cause a drag issue since it's a torsen type diff and not a clutch pack diff which can have sticking packs. I would still change out the fluid (as you should on any new to you vehicle) regardless of when the previous owner said they did.
Old 12-02-2020, 03:09 AM

Received 316 Likes on 226 Posts

Chek the tire pressure first. Buy a set of decent sport tires.
This is a sports car, its like a Motorcycle. It reacts very sensitive about different tires and pressure.
Old 12-02-2020, 03:10 AM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

Tires.
Old 12-02-2020, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by fernando.
Torque steer on deceleration is impossible, and it's predominately a front-wheel-drive issue.

Tire pressures is huge on this car, they have to be bang on, followed by the tires themselves. Once you ensure you have 4 correct matching tires, that aren't 100 years old, and have the correct tire pressures go for another drive and re-check. Secondly, ensure all your calipers are free and no pads are seized in the carriers. Highly unlikely the differential will cause a drag issue since it's a torsen type diff and not a clutch pack diff which can have sticking packs. I would still change out the fluid (as you should on any new to you vehicle) regardless of when the previous owner said they did.
I've done all the fluids already. Doubt it's the calipers too, I just had new pads and rotors installed, feels fine when driving as well.

I'll get some new tires.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by Rewire; 12-02-2020 at 03:26 AM.
Old 12-02-2020, 03:40 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by Rewire
I've done all the fluids already. Doubt it's the calipers too, I just had new pads and rotors installed, feels fine when driving as well.

I'll get some new tires.

Thanks everyone.
Make sure they are the correct size, too!
Old 12-02-2020, 08:11 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Differences in rear tire diameters is what causes this car to do that. That can be caused by tires worn differently, aire pressure differences, or even brand new tires from different manufacturing batches.

Old, worn mismatched tires with unknown pressures, a perfect storm of rear steering vectoring.

New tires, proper size, proper summer compounds (no All Seasons!), From the same batch, same datecode, same air pressure, proper alignment, is going to transform this cars driving experience. You'll be amazed.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:51 AM

Received 1,445 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Also, any sign of leaking from the shocks at all? Or if you push up and down on each corner, do any of them seem like they have issues (one bouncing a bit more)? I have driven RWD's with one bad shock that would feel as if the rear end was shifting one direction under compression and back the other under rebound.

Quick Reply: Eliminatin Torque Steer?