S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Electronic Torque Wrench

Old 10-06-2011, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys for all the suggestions. it made me think. electronic torque wrench might not just be an overkill; but, would need up keeping for the batteries. if the battery dies, the wrench becomes useless. so, instead i am thinking of click type wrench. but, i would prefer a good quality one even though its gonna be used primarily for changing wheels. but, the decent quality one is not cheap, obviously. i am thinking of getting this:

http://www.amazon.com/Snap--Industri...7957907&sr=1-7

thanks again.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:05 PM

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-46...-c3fr250f.aspx

Same as a snap on one.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:21 PM

For wheels, I would get 1/2. I got a snap on electronic torque wrench.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aviator
thanks guys for all the suggestions. it made me think. electronic torque wrench might not just be an overkill; but, would need up keeping for the batteries. if the battery dies, the wrench becomes useless. so, instead i am thinking of click type wrench. but, i would prefer a good quality one even though its gonna be used primarily for changing wheels. but, the decent quality one is not cheap, obviously. i am thinking of getting this:

http://www.amazon.com/Snap--Industri...7957907&sr=1-7

thanks again.
If you have the money and are willing to spend it on the torque wrench then I highly suggest a snap on one. I do believe they make one that goes up to 250 ft/lbs, if you want to look into that.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by SDgoods
I have a 1/2" snap on beam type and would probably never buy anything but beam again. I had a snap on click type and it was a piece of ****. With that said, if its not constantly being used everyday your not going to need the top of the line wrench. Go get a nice craftsman 1/2" and it should last you a while and if it ever breaks just get a new one for free!
Unless you find an ignorant Sears employee, the craftsman torque wrenches are not covered under the lifetime warantee. They're considered precision tools.

And I agree with the Harbor Freight wrench. If it's just for lug nuts, then you don't need to spend 200 bucks. Waste of money. And get the 1/2".
Old 10-07-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by T-S.M.A.C
^^ you are saying snap on sucks and craftsman is great? ha
No, i said i will never buy anything BUT a beam again. Not to mention this snap on beam will probably last me my lifetime. I also used it everyday multiple times for several years. Craftsman can be quality tools and probably close to half the price. Like i said if your not constantly using the tool you could probably get away with something a little lower on the spectrum.

Cornwell has a beam now for $200 thats exactly the same as the snap on, same company built it, except for the color of the handle. Youd be spending 200 dollars but it will last you a long long time.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The sweet spot of a torque wrench is the median of the scale. If your main use is lugs, look for a median 80/90 (ie 50/150 would be about 100). 1/2" drive is a must. You'll be busting 3/8" drives on a regular basis.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by JackS
The sweet spot of a torque wrench is the median of the scale. If your main use is lugs, look for a median 80/90 (ie 50/150 would be about 100). 1/2" drive is a must. You'll be busting 3/8" drives on a regular basis.
that's a good point about the median range to be accurate. that's why i chose not to go beyond 150 lb/ft since the primary need is for wheels.

here is what i am leaning toward:
http://www.amazon.com/Snap--Industri...8016461&sr=1-4

i also looked at Beam and Dial types. for a dummy like me, the click type seems like an easy thing to use. the only issue is the periodical calibration. of course, i moved away from electronic types, as recommended.

thanks everyone for pitching in and making suggestions. appreciate it.

cheers.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by T-S.M.A.C
If you have the money and are willing to spend it on the torque wrench then I highly suggest a snap on one. I do believe they make one that goes up to 250 ft/lbs, if you want to look into that.
i have decided to stick to 150 since the primary use is for wheels. as suggested, the accuracy seems better in the median range.

thanks.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mrfixit687
thanks dude. the Snap on has a better increment: 1 lb vs 5 on this one.

Quick Reply: Electronic Torque Wrench