S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Electrical problems

Old 09-26-2011, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problems

So I'm trying to diagnose this electrical problem but I'm having a lot of trouble. The background is kinda lengthy but I think it's relevant:

My problems started on late Friday night when, during a heavy rainstorm, my alarm (Viper 5901) kept going off. I disarmed it but my doors would not unlock and the armed LED continued to flash. Also the car stopped responding to my remote, all of which were weird occurances. The next day, Saturday, I used the key to get in, setting off the alarm. The alarm would then not disarm so I disconnected the battery, which also happened to be nearly dead. I charged the battery and lo and behold, I could then disarm the alarm and power locks worked again. I gave the battery a full charge and considered it done.

Then today I go to drive the S and my battery is dead again (dash lights barely came on). After charging the battery a bit I checked the current draw and it exceeded my multimeter's ability (>10A). I started pulling fuses and ended up pulling every single fuse and relay I could find, and the current was still there. I also disconnected my stereo amplifier and disconnected the whole alarm brain unit. The only thing that stopped the current draw was pulling the 100A battery fuse in the fuse box beside the battery. I tried charging the battery and starting her up, but I couldn't even get the usual "clicking," although I could hear the fuel pump (maybe because I pulled the alarm out?)

At this point I'm completely lost and open to suggestions or more things to troubleshoot. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know much,but I had a similar problem.It turned out my alternator was drawing too much power and overcharging the battery or not charging it at all.I got the alternator tested and it was good,but had it rebuilt anyways and thats when they found my real problem,alternator had a shortage!!