S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Electrical problem on my 2000 S2000

Old 12-06-2011, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problem on my 2000 S2000

I have a black on black 2000 S2000 with only 36,000 miles on it. I have owned it since new and taken great care of it.

Recently, out of the blue, major electrical problems have manifested. Soft top no longer working (stuck in down mode). Passenger window no longer working. Radio not working. Dome light not working. Electronic trunk opener not working ....

It started with the soft top and passenger window. I researched it and determined it was probably soft top controller. Then the other problems manifested, so I thought I had better take it to the dealer before I muck things up.

They were no help at all. They had no clue and wanted to charge me a fortune just to debug the problem.

They told me "no current was coming from the flex panel". Has any one heard of a "flex panel"? What is it? Where is it?

Could it be that my 12 year old battery needs replacing?

where do I begin?

Any advice on this one will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:02 PM

Aside from the electrical issues you mentioned, does the car run fine? I believe all of the issues you mentioned have fuses in the same fuse panel, so it is possible that there is a short in the wiring to this fuse panel. I would definitely take the car somewhere else because the dealership does not sound competent.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you say "not working" what do you mean? For instance, the radio, does it just not power on at all? And do the dome lights not work at all, or can you get them to turn on via switch, button, or hitting unlock on the keyless entry. Like NFRAP2 said, the only thing those have in common is the under dash fuse block. I would start there.

EDIT: Does the accessory outlet work? Does the trunk light work?
Old 12-07-2011, 04:10 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

List everything that has been done to the car, service wise, parts wise, etc. You can usually find it from there. Your problem is VERY uncommon.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:13 AM

Flex panel?

Sounds like made up crap to me, so they can have something to say that sounds educated.

You and s2ki have the best chance of fixing it. Are you good with a test light?

Here's my take:

That is what he told you, to make it sound more complicated than it is. This way you bring it back to them to be fixed and not try it yourself.

There is no flex panel in the electrical system. in the body maybe.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
Flex panel?

Sounds like made up crap to me, so they can have something to say that sounds educated.

You and s2ki have the best chance of fixing it. Are you good with a test light?
with exception of the sounding educated part. .. Might they have said fuse panel?? If your battery is 12 years old I would replace it anyways, these cars can act weird with a lower than normal voltage(although the Alternator runs the car once started). If you go to Autozone theyll test your battery and can check that the alternator is putting out proper voltage, normally about 13.2V to 13.5V... Definitly need to list any mods you might have made to any electrical parts especially
Old 12-07-2011, 04:24 AM

I know many may think a battery connection is not the issue.

There are things like motors and such that can break a bad battery connection, yet still power other things. It could also be the underlying cause of any blown fuses....

SO...just to be safe, here's where I would start:

Make sure the batt terminals are clean and tight. If you can twist the terminals off with your hand, they are not tight enough.

After that, check the battery ground wire where it screwed into the firewall right next to the battery. 10mm make sure its tight.

after that, with the key on (not running) check EVERY fuse in the car with a test light in all THREE fuse panels, even if its not related to the system.

if you can't determine a few fuses are good with the test light, pull them out and visually inspect.

Make sure all fuses that are screwed in (100 amp main for example) that the screws are tight.

Some fuses have windows. look through all windowed fuses for a broken strip.

after that i can give you other things to look for.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:30 AM

Just saw the 12 year old battery. I would surely change it. Even if its not directly causing your problems, it may have been an underlying issue to them at one point.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:00 AM

Thanks to everyone for the advice and input.

Other than these problems the car is in excellent mechanical condition and runs like a 36k mile car should.

The only mod I have made is a cold air intake. I have changed the oil regularly and done all other scheduled and routine maintenance.

I will start off with a new battery ensuring it is properly grounded, test the alternator output and then test all fuses (in all three panels...)with a test light as per Billman250's advice and report back.

Symptom clarification: Radio completely dead. Not getting power. Dome light completely dead. Trunk can not be opened with button in rear console or electronic key. Can only be opened manually. Passenger window inoperable stuck in open. Soft top inoperable - stuck in open. Luckily I live in a warm climate ....

I am now sure the tech meant fuse panel instead of flex panel. I will not be going back there ....
Old 12-07-2011, 08:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a common ground lug is loose. There are several in the kickpanels.

Quick Reply: Electrical problem on my 2000 S2000