S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

ECU and O2 sensor issues

Old 05-17-2014, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU and O2 sensor issues

Hi Guys,
I tried searching for the answer but I only get bits and pieces of information.

A few weeks ago I removed the rear housing of my gearbox and replaced a couple of bearings on the output shaft. I disconnected both O2 sensor connectors and moved the wiring out the way to make it easier. After I had finished, I put it all back together fine and proceeded to plug the O2 sensors back in.

Not looking, but feeling with my fingers, I plugged the sensors back in and started the car. Immediately I had a CEL come up on the dash. I checked the codes and it said both O2 sensors were dead. Thinking this was odd, I went back under the car and had a look. Turns out I was able to plug the ECU directly into itself and the O2 sensors into each other :S. I would not have thought that the two O2 connectors (directly next to each other) were the opposites of each other and even able to do that. I felt like such a moron.

I plugged the O2 sensors into the ECU harness properly this time, but now I have a constant P0135 code and CEL come up.

Question is, have I killed something in the ECU? or is it just unfortunate timing and the primary O2 sensor heater is dead? Has anyone else had this experience?
Old 05-19-2014, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you reset light after switching back? Pull back up fuse for a couple of minutes and plug back in.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:36 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

o2 sensor CEL will stay on until drive cycle is complete.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:09 PM

I have the same problem. ECU harness was connected to itself and the o2's were connected to each other. I corrected the connections and reset the ECU by disconnecting battery for 5 minutes or so and then letting it idle for about 10 min.

The CEL came back on right away and i have driven i dont know how many cycles and about 200 miles since

Symptoms are poor acceleration and VERY low idle, its even stalled a few times at a stop.

PS: New to the forums but not the S!
Old 05-20-2014, 11:59 PM

Thanks for the replies. Yea did all that unfortunately. Reset ecu, reset codes etc several times now. Unfortunately SlowzS2k post now sounds awfully similar.

I assumed it really wasn't good for the ecu, but seems rather stupid by Honda, although more stupid on my end too.
If I get a moment, i suppose i will test the heater circuit on the O2 sensor, and maybe try a new one to see if it fixes it. :S
unless anyone has any other ideas/ suggestions?

thanks all.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:27 PM

Yea im thinking that maybe the heater circuits in the o2's got damaged since they weren't meant to be plugged into each other but who knows. Im gonna order 2 new sensors from rock auto for a decent price and hope that the ECU didn't get F*%#d!

Iv learned my lesson not to do that again
Old 05-23-2014, 09:58 PM

Yea tell me about it :s who would have thought.
I am parking the S2k in the next couple of weeks due to respraying the front right fender and a couple of other small repairs.
I will test the O2 sensor and circuit at the same time when I get it up on some ramps.
I guess I will keep everyone updated.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:33 PM

I did the same exact thing that both of you guys have done..... I was wondering if you guys were able to fix your problem. So far ive tested the voltage coming out of the ecm and I got 12v on primary heater and 3v on the secondary heater. When I have the car running the voltages dont go back and fourth like theyre supposed to. I checked my wires for any resistance but they had none. Im thinking its my ecu but I want to make sure thats what it is before I go out and buy one, thanks in advance.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:41 AM

Any follow-ups here? I've been having O2 issues for quite some time and I would like to know if O2 sensors fixed this issue or if it is an ECU?
Old 05-21-2015, 08:44 AM

Received 452 Likes on 379 Posts

Connecting the two sensors to each other should not affect them at all, it's most likely an ecu problem.

Quick Reply: ECU and O2 sensor issues