S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

ECU "Not Ready" codes

Old 11-09-2009, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU "Not Ready" codes

I recently left my lights on all night (idiot) and my battery died. I jumped the S from my daily driver and everything's charged back up again, but I had a CEL from it.

Knowing the CEL wasn't anything major, I disconnected the neg battery terminal for a moment to clear it, then took my car to get an inspection.

I failed because some of the emissions controls in the ECU stated "Not Ready" since I recently reset it, like O2, Catalyst, and Evap. How much driving should I do before I attempt to take it back for inspection? Do I need to drive a specific distance, speed, and turn the car off an on a few times? Do I need to set the cruise control or anything like that?
Old 11-09-2009, 11:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If the o2 is showing not ready, its likely bad and will throw a code sooner or later
Old 11-09-2009, 11:25 AM

Most likely not. I never had a CEL before my battery died. And state inspection showed (3) Not Ready codes were discovered because I had reset my ECU only 5 minutes before I took my car to the shop.

(Shop is across the street from my home)
Old 11-09-2009, 11:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you think that's what it is, just drive the car for 10 mins then take it back.

But I know for a fact OBD2 ready codes are generated at startup, not after a time delay.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:40 AM

Normal. It sometimes takes up to a week and 100 miles to set readiness
Old 11-09-2009, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by EK9B18,Nov 9 2009, 03:40 PM
Normal. It sometimes takes up to a week and 100 miles to set readiness
My question is, what conditions tell the ECU components that they are "Ready" status? I know on some vehicles there are a number of things you can do in sequence. Simply "driving for a hundred miles over a week" isn't concrete enough information to know if the ECU is Ready.

I have to get state inspection and don't want to waste more money if it's going to throw more Not Ready codes.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:34 PM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by spectacle,Nov 9 2009, 03:33 PM
If you think that's what it is, just drive the car for 10 mins then take it back.

But I know for a fact OBD2 ready codes are generated at startup, not after a time delay.
Incorrect.

The fact is that in order for the ECU to show all systems "ready" the car has to go through at least 3 drive cycles to show all systems are "ready" This means that you have to drive the car to normal operating temp, let it cool and repeat at least 3 times, this can be accomplished through normal daily driving of the car, give it a few days or a whole week and take it back and you will be ok.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by 2poor2mod,Nov 9 2009, 04:34 PM
Incorrect.

The fact is that in order for the ECU to show all systems "ready" the car has to go through at least 3 drive cycles to show all systems are "ready" This means that you have to drive the car to normal operating temp, let it cool and repeat at least 3 times, this can be accomplished through normal daily driving of the car, give it a few days or a whole week and take it back and you will be ok.
Thank you.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a specific driving sequence to set the "ready" signal. If your daily drive is urban with lots of speed changes, you can go for MONTHS without "readying" the sensors. Ask me how I know.

Anyway, the exact ready drive sequence is listed in the back of the owner's manual. Manuals are available online through American Honda.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by CKit,Nov 9 2009, 04:52 PM
There is a specific driving sequence to set the "ready" signal. If your daily drive is urban with lots of speed changes, you can go for MONTHS without "readying" the sensors. Ask me how I know.

Anyway, the exact ready drive sequence is listed in the back of the owner's manual. Manuals are available online through American Honda.
THANK YOU!

Quick Reply: ECU "Not Ready" codes