S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Ecu functioning different after reset vs just starting up?

Old 09-18-2011, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ecu functioning different after reset vs just starting up?

Hello,

Maybe I can get some help here...I Hope..

I think my ECU might be bad. my car was in a flood and the water was up about 6 inches in my car, the engine was replaced fuel tank drained. Coil packs and new injectors along with a valve adjustment done on the new engine. Car runs great after a reset (Drove for about 45 mins), I can drive without any CELs or problems, When I shut the car off and turn it back on again (without an ECU reset) I start getting CEL with codes about 1 min after driving and the car dies out at every red light when I stop. When I shut off the car again and pull the fuse to reset the ECU everything runs fine and I can run the car for a long time without any problems until I shut it off again. Does something happen differently with the ECU after I shut the ignition off and start it up again as opposed to after a fresh reset?
I have a 02 ECU with an F22C. Any Help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You!
Old 09-21-2011, 02:42 PM

So you're using an AP1 ECU on an F22C? I'm certainly no expert, but it's an entirely different motor. Is it safe to do that? I'm sure they have completely different fuel curves, especially since the 2.2 is a lot more mid-range biased. Also, you don't have a good limiter with a 9k ECU for an 8k motor.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:25 PM

what CEL are you getting?
Old 09-21-2011, 05:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mondojackal
So you're using an AP1 ECU on an F22C? I'm certainly no expert, but it's an entirely different motor. Is it safe to do that? I'm sure they have completely different fuel curves, especially since the 2.2 is a lot more mid-range biased. Also, you don't have a good limiter with a 9k ECU for an 8k motor.
WOW people have been running ap1 ECU's on f22c for like the past 6 years. should work just fine it might be something else, check your throttle cable and make sure its not to loose to to tight. make sure your throttle body is working good too.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by woodburn
Originally Posted by mondojackal' timestamp='1316644948' post='20993224
WOW people have been running ap1 ECU's on f22c for like the past 6 years. should work just fine it might be something else, check your throttle cable and make sure its not to loose to to tight. make sure your throttle body is working good too.
I've seen it done, sure, but I'm assuming that those who use it are also using some sort of tuning software. OP doesn't seem to have any such thing.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:36 PM

Some DTCs take more than 1 drive cycle to light the CEL. Get the DTC code and troubleshoot the circuit. Look for a connector left unplugged.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:17 AM

Thank you everyone for your replies you are awesome! turns out I needed a valve adjustment. Once I got it, no more cels. It could have been from bad gas too because the next day the stall outs at lights were happening less and less when I started the car without resetting the ecu. I used the Lucas fuel injector cleaner (dont know how much that helped). The gas tank was drained but not removed when I had gotten the f22 put in so poss residual bad gas. There was a ticking from the engine, and considering that our engines make a lot of noise, I hadn't thought about it at first but Im glad I got the valve adjustment done, the sound went away after that.