S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

ECU Codes

Old 08-24-2001, 06:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You must first realize that there is a major difference between a dealer "Scan Tool" and an OBDII tool. OBD (On Board Diagnostic Second Generation -i.e. post 1996) refers most specifically to emission controls. While the more advanced ones can look at certain manufacturer parameters (as allowed and published by the manufacturer)they will not hit them all. YES the ECU records maximum events such as top speed and top RPM and these can be "scanned" off the ECU whether you disconnect the battery from the car for 1 hundred years!; don't kid yourselves. If you'ld like a very good home OBDII monitor check:

http://www.obd-2.com/

You may also want to go to Amazon.Com and check out a book called "Everything you want to know about OBD-II".....

P.S. It don't come cheap.

Utah

P.S.S. Mark....can I have my book back now!
Old 08-24-2001, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Utah S2K
You must first realize that there is a major difference between a dealer "Scan Tool" and an OBDII tool. OBD (On Board Diagnostic Second Generation -i.e. post 1996) refers most specifically to emission controls. While the more advanced ones can look at certain manufacturer parameters (as allowed and published by the manufacturer)they will not hit them all. YES the ECU records maximum events such as top speed and top RPM and these can be "scanned" off the ECU whether you disconnect the battery from the car for 1 hundred years!; don't kid yourselves. If you'ld like a very good home OBDII monitor check:

http://www.obd-2.com/

You may also want to go to Amazon.Com and check out a book called "Everything you want to know about OBD-II".....

P.S. It don't come cheap.

Utah

P.S.S. Mark....can I have my book back now!
Utah,

So what is the bottom line? I don't particularly want the dealer to know my driving habits, so how often are these reset by the ECU? After every 40 drives? Or never?

Tanq
Old 08-25-2001, 01:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure where the ECU is on our car, but if you find it, simply unplug it for a few minutes. I know that this used to work on my CRX.
Old 09-04-2001, 09:16 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bbsilver
[B]I'm not sure about the rest of the scenarios and I'm not even positive on this car.
Old 09-04-2001, 01:33 PM

Joe_s2k
Did your mechanic say how he could tell you over-revved by taking off the valve cover? Does anyone have any idea how the mechanic could know that??
Old 09-04-2001, 02:16 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ackley1
[B]Joe_s2k
Did your mechanic say how he could tell you over-revved by taking off the valve cover?
Old 09-04-2001, 05:26 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ackley1
[B]Joe_s2k
Did your mechanic say how he could tell you over-revved by taking off the valve cover?
Old 09-04-2001, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by joe_s2k

Acccording to everybody I've talked to, a bent valve can only be caused by over-revving the engine.
Wouldnt losing the timing belt/chain (in interference-type engines) have the possibility of bending valves?
Old 09-04-2001, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by pellisS2k

Wouldnt losing the timing belt/chain (in interference-type engines) have the possibility of bending valves?
We have a winner!!! Okay, that's another way to bend the valves. My friend had that happen to his 9x Prelude about 5 years ago. Thanks for reminding me that "I am the weakest link!"
Old 09-25-2001, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by pellisS2k

Is the F20C an "interference-type" engine?

InsaniT

Quick Reply: ECU Codes