S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

ebrake light won't turn off.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ebrake light won't turn off.

My ebrake light will not turn off. I searched and performed the following fixes to no avail.

Topped off brake fluid to MAX line.
Flushed old fluid with new fluid, cleaned cylinder, bled.
Poked floater, seems fine.
Unplugged sensor on master cylinder still does not turnoff when unplugged.
Checked brakes for hydraulic problems. None.
Tested if softtop works with ebrake down. It doesnt.

I noticed when I pull the ebrake up the brake light gets brighter and when I release it it dims.
Checked for loose connections under center console.

Any other ideas?
Old 03-28-2014, 08:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine came on one day after a hard left.. A few months later it disappeared
Old 03-28-2014, 12:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had that many years ago... turned out to be a gum wrapper that had slipped into the console and was shorting the contacts.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:50 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Remove the master reservoir connector again. Check for continuity on the two pins connector...cylinder side. It shoul be no continuity with fluid. My guess is you will have continuity which means your float is stuck. There is a small rib on the inside of the firewall side of the reservoir and a matching cutout on the float. Sometimes the float binds at the top. Look closely here if you have continuity....a poke will fix it but you need a carefully placed poke.

Utah
Old 03-28-2014, 04:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a ground problem. id check the ground connection in the center console for the e-brake switch
Old 03-30-2014, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Utah S2K
Remove the master reservoir connector again. Check for continuity on the two pins connector...cylinder side. It shoul be no continuity with fluid. My guess is you will have continuity which means your float is stuck. There is a small rib on the inside of the firewall side of the reservoir and a matching cutout on the float. Sometimes the float binds at the top. Look closely here if you have continuity....a poke will fix it but you need a carefully placed poke.

Utah
No continuity. Float seems to be fine too. Was able to move up and down freely.

Where is the ground for the ebrake?
Old 03-31-2014, 06:23 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There are 3 items in the e circuit. Don't bother looking for a ground issue as this circuit grounds into the B Dash Harness. If the ground were bad you would have a bunch of issues.

The first element is the float switch which you have tested half of. But you have checked the important half ( the other would activate the light if you were low on fluid).

The second element is the brake switch. This is located at the base of the E-brake. It will be a clear 1 pin T connector. You need to pull the center console cover to expose this connector. Check for continuity between the switch side (not the cable) and ground. With the brake lever up there should be continuity. Brake lever down there shoal be NO continuity.

The third element is the convertible control module. The module is located behind the lower passenger knee panel (below passenger air bag). There are two grey connectors. I think the left one is 14 pin and right is 10(?).Reseat them (disconnect battery for this and the next one).

The last connector of concern would be the 404. This carries the ground wire between the dash B harness and the actual Ground. Looking up from below the drivers footwell you will see the plastic piece below the steering shaft. It's the one that pivots and has a bunch of holes through it. On the drivers door end of this plastic you will find 3 light blue connectors. The one in the middle is C404 and carries the e-brake ground wire. Reseat.

My guess is it is the e-brake or float switches.

Utah