S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

EBay Starter -- any experience?

Old 03-23-2011, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EBay Starter -- any experience?

I decided to take a gamble on a new Chinese "OEM" starter off Ebay. Its an exact copy of the original Denso. Same price as the Autozone/Oreillys remans.

So far, its working great. Im wondering if anyone has had any experience with them. For all I know the autozone/oreillys are chinese as well.

Can I trust it?
Old 03-24-2011, 09:38 AM

If all is working well why not? Id rather have brand new than reMan any day. I prefer OEM but not all chinese stuff is bad! although it usually tends to be cheaply made.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here my personal experience:

first starter took a sh-t around 125k, I picked up a "low mile" OE starter from a local guy, however it's starting to stick and grind about a month later.

Replaced it with an ebay "new" starter, run fine for about half a week until the solenoid dies. Needless to say it's a pain in the arse to haul a piece of metal back and forth not to mention the down

time. Now I am running an autozone rebuild unit, it was down the street and they have that sucker in stock, run fine.

there you have it, no more car ebay sh-t for me.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by iam7head

first starter took a sh-t around 125k, I picked up a "low mile" OE starter from a local guy, however it's starting to stick and grind about a month later.

Replaced it with an ebay "new" starter, run fine for about half a week until the solenoid dies. Needless to say it's a pain in the arse to haul a piece of metal back and forth not to mention the down

time. Now I am running an autozone rebuild unit, it was down the street and they have that sucker in stock, run fine.

thanks for the post. did the solenoid give any indication it was on the way out? was it actually a new starter or just remanufactured to look like new?
Old 03-26-2011, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by iam7head

was all that worth saving a couple bucks?

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...OR+%28DENSO%29
Old 03-27-2011, 01:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How did your original starter die OP? Was it intermitant? I know most honda starters can be rebuilt with a toyota contact kit, and I'm wondering if the S takes the same kind. There are two big copper plates that wear out on the stator.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by prj3ctm4yh3m
Originally Posted by iam7head' timestamp='1301036485' post='20395086

thanks for the post. did the solenoid give any indication it was on the way out? was it actually a new starter or just remanufactured to look like new?
It was "new" ebay starter, it look new as far as i can tell. No indication until failure, returning the junk to the seller.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by wrecked
Originally Posted by iam7head' timestamp='1301036485' post='20395086

was all that worth saving a couple bucks?

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...OR+%28DENSO%29
hingsight 20/20, you reminds me of my girlfriend(no offense LOL)

well, at least i can tell people i can swap the starter out in 10 minutes flat, lol.

I still got a free starter core if anyone local wants it, probably just need a rebuild with brush and sh-t. I tap started it at work with a hammer to get home.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by SgtB
How did your original starter die OP? Was it intermitant? I know most honda starters can be rebuilt with a toyota contact kit, and I'm wondering if the S takes the same kind. There are two big copper plates that wear out on the stator.
It didnt die. just got loose and made contact with the flywheel; boogered the gear up some. It was grinding though, so I think the solenoid return spring was on its way out.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by prj3ctm4yh3m
Originally Posted by SgtB' timestamp='1301259895' post='20401266
It didnt die. just got loose and made contact with the flywheel; boogered the gear up some. It was grinding though, so I think the solenoid return spring was on its way out.
that's why happen to my OG starter, do it before it wears out the teeths on the flywheel