S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

E-manage, CEL, and dying engine.. HELP!

Old 03-26-2005, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-manage, CEL, and dying engine.. HELP!

I installed the e-manage last night. I had one of the plugs in loosely and came out while I was making sure that everything was set at 0. Engine died. I got a CEL which I reset (didn't think it was anything important). It didn't come up again after that.

This morning I saw the CEL again and went to Autozone. They pulled up P1259 Immobilizer to PCM Signal Error. I reset it and started the car multiple times without any problems.

I let the car sit outside for a couple hours afterwards. I'm not sure if it was the cold but the car didn't rev high to warm up. It stayed around 1000rpm and constantly dipped to 0 and right before it was about to die it revved up again. To help the car warm up a little better I pressed the gas and held it around 2000rpm. The engine sounded like it was bogging and I could have sworn there was a knock sound. I promptly turned the car off. Started to car again and it sounded fine. Car was revving good and I drove home. I just checked the CEL using modifry's blinking CEL light here's what I got:

Vtec solenoid Valve
Manifold Absolute pressure circuit low input

What's going on???
Old 03-27-2005, 05:45 AM

anyone?
Old 03-27-2005, 06:56 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Simplest thing to do is to pull the emanage out and see if you still get the CEL and problems.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:57 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you use a plug and play harness or did you splice wires? If the latter, I would check everything over.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 03-27-2005, 08:51 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by ideugene,Mar 26 2005, 10:25 PM
This morning I saw the CEL again and went to Autozone. They pulled up P1259 Immobilizer to PCM Signal Error.
There is some proof autozone doens't have a clue. P1259 is VTEC system failure. It has nothing to do with the imobilizer.

The e-manage is wired to both of the inputs you have codes for. You need to check all of your wiring connections to VTEC control, and the map sensor.

It would also be wise to check the oil level in the engine, as low oil can cause the P1259.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:53 AM

E-manage was purchased off a member. I checked to see all the jumpers and dials and they were correct. He had an S2000 wiring diagram included and i just checked random wires and they seemed to be connected correctly to the extension harness.

I just went back today and got P1259 and P0108...

I'll go let the car sit for a little while, try a map whack. The car seems to only have problems after I let it sit and cool down. Once it warms up it seems to run fine. Just before it was outside and I couldn't even start the car. I had to floor the gas while pressing the start button to get it to run. I held it at 3000rpm until the second temperature light came on. After that the car was perfectly fine.

If I get another CEL I'll take out the e-manage and see if thats the problem.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:33 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Smacking the Map sensor isn't going to fix anything. Something is either hosed in your wiring, or the E-manage has a map that isn't meant for your car.

Do the map sensor a favor and stop hitting it, and address the e-manage as the cause.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:38 PM

I let the car cool completely. The map whack gave me a smooth idle and warm up. But a minute or two later the CEL came back. I took out the e-manage and started the engine again without any CEL.

Slows2k... I made sure using my laptop that all the maps were set to 0. vtec was set to kick in at 6000rpm.

I looked at the wiring especially for the Vtec and map sensor wires. From the included wiring diagram they're all in the right place. I havent stripped the heatshrink wrapping yet but it looks to be a good connection. I did notice however that one of the wires broke off from a pin on the extension harness. It was labeled as "No Connection" However, I'll get it soldered and see if that was the problem or if it broke off while I was taking out the e-manage.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:42 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The 0-1000 idle problem sounds like the ECU just relearning idle. Mine did this everytime it was reset and eventually learnt how to hold idle.

As Slow said, the two faults you've listed are signals that go through the E-manage. A possible scenario that would result in a "Low Map signal" is if the previous owner of the E-manage had bigger injectors (and entered a compensation for them) and you don't. Just a wild guess.

I'd check the wiring and the set up of the E-manage.

Quick Reply: E-manage, CEL, and dying engine.. HELP!