S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Dynoed my Comptech S/C, hp:341 tq:219

Old 04-27-2002, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally dynoed my car today hoping to make sense of all the shit load of things I've done.
I made sure before the dyno, the car is in top shape.
I changed the spark plugs, changed oil, as well as tightened the belt and finished the prep with air filter cleaning.
Three pulls ending with last run resulted at Max hp:341.2 and Max tq:219.2
I asked the guy to stop at under 8500rpm, but looks like if he went all the way, hp figure can be higher but there is no point in finding that out since the car was running too lean.

First pull resulted in 320 and resulted in running too lean post VTEC. So the guy raised the fuel pressure couple of notch. Power improved on second run but still not much change in A/F ratio post VTEC.
He raised more and pulled the final run but as you can see from the picture below I still running too lean post VTEC and the fuel curve wasn't changed at all. So the conclusion is I need to get bigger injectors and better fuel management unit, because the current setup cannot deal with the power.

It is good thing that I normally drive very mild and keep it under 6K, but if I was too aggressive and drove like I stole it, I could've surely damaged the engine running too lean.

Unfortunately I am still without the boost gauge so I cannot tell you how much boost I am pushing with the small pulley, but I will deal with that later and tell you guys.

Click the photo to be able to choose bigger size since you cannot make out in small size.

So that's it, all the hard earned money saved up for new wheel is going to be put on hold and I have to upgrade my fuel delivery manner in order to gain more power and run safely after VTEC.
Old 04-27-2002, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats Randy !! I know that you are pretty modded but it is good to know that the supercharger is responding well to the increased boost. From your pulley size I would wager to bet that you will see about 7.5-8 psi of boost once you get your boost gauge installed. The Novi 1000 is a pretty efficient blower at the boost levels that we can run on a stock engine. Do you have a VAFC ? Have you been getting any detonation or pinging ? I am thinking that between a VAFC and a set of 440cc injectors you should be able to put all your air fuel worries aside. (This is the setup that I am installing) You may want to go slightly larger so you don't have to run as high a fuel pressure, but you may sacrifice some more favorable idle characteristics. How does the car feel? I imagine it feels pretty damn good. Keep up the good work. Good luck. Once again congrats !! ***Can we say mid 12's ????
Old 04-27-2002, 11:17 AM

damn, randy

341 to the wheels is great. you must be pushing more than 6lbs boost to get that much
Old 04-27-2002, 11:37 AM

12gage and rocketman, thank you for the kind remark.

No, I don't have the VAFC. I have in mind of doing AEM EMS but I am in just wait and see mood.
I was hoping that current AFR and stock injectors would take care of the extra boost but I guess I was very wrong. Today's finding of running too lean was pretty surprise. It was good thing I was limiting my rev to under 8K after the 3.4 inch pulley install. Even if there was detonation, I probably couldn't hear anything.
But I had no problem running the car. Engine responds very well and mid range torque is very good.
Please let me know when you finish tuning with VAFC, I would be very interested in getting some info and setting out of you 12gage.
I am just going to wait a little bit before I tackle the fuel management issue.

Again thanks for the kind remark, guys.
Old 04-27-2002, 12:16 PM

Randy, car is looking great! Do you have the full Mugen setup? The hood is looking very sweet!

Just don't blow it up.
Old 04-27-2002, 12:19 PM

Randy- I didn't know that you were running the 3.4 " blower pulley. It seems like you may be getting close to maxing out the blower. You may have a couple of psi left in the blower I believe that the AEM system will ultimately be the best solution for tuning however I still feel the VAFC can be useful in most cases. IMO the biggest obstabcle that the AEM system has to overcome is the learning curve. With this system you can now tune parameters that most tuners aren't familar with being able to adjust. Once you get your boost gauge installed I think you will be surprised how much boost your making. I bet the farm it is over 9psi at the manifold. Once I get everything tuned which should be in the next month or so I will be glad to share my settings with you. (Should be a good baseline)
Old 04-27-2002, 01:17 PM

Wow Randy I'm impressed ,341 to the wheels!! I never new Novi 1000 had that kind of potential for our cars . How do you keep the wheels from not spinning when you go to v-tec , because thats what I suffer from know in 1st and 2nd with only getting 290 to the wheels .
Old 04-27-2002, 01:24 PM

S2kRob, thank you.
No I am missing the hardtop and the front facia.
I love the hood very much and it is one of my prized possession
Some people would say it would be a crime to paint over the Mugen's stunning carbon fiber work, but I like the way the painted look turned out, besides that is recommended paint scheme suggested by Mugen.
Here is some photos of before and after painted the hood.

I think I am done playing with the exterior. I just need to fix and repair all the damage caused by driving almost 70,000miles so far.
Hopely it will not blow up anytime soon, I will take good care of it and drive sensively.

12gage,
I will look forward to your result with VAFC tuning. Meanwhile, I am going to drive like I am under break-in period. Thankfully there is still good deal of oomph under 6Krpm, so I will be able to get around in hurry when needed. But I will occasionally visit the forbiden VTEC zone briefly from time to time to see if the rusty VTEC is still engaging. Good luck with your tuning and also good luck to Wes with his AEM.

Fastlane,
since you and I have our final drive gear ratio changed, of course the traction is bit of a challenge. It is even worse for me since I have Spoon wheels.(me and jfys2k swapped the wheels for few weeks, so now I have jfys2k's stock wheels instead of Spoon).
But I think with smaller pulley and boosting the pressure down low, things are bit better with traction. Of course when the VTEC engage there is a big rush of power but I think with raised boost things got smoother with power transition. Ultimately you and I probably need fatter tires in the back but unfortunately my available funds for that will be used on upgrading fuel management and delivery instead.
Old 04-27-2002, 01:25 PM

Wow! That's amazing!!! If I ever visit my brother in VA, I'm looking you up.
Old 04-27-2002, 02:13 PM

What performance and engine mods have you made besides the supercharger and the smaller pulley?

Quick Reply: Dynoed my Comptech S/C, hp:341 tq:219